Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Gift of a Day

If ever there was a day I would like to wrap up like a gift so I could reexperience it ... it would be today!! It has been a day like no other .....

I started out the morning like I always do and was feeling so lucky because I had 'the gift of time' on my hands before my scheduled trek out to Davidson for the quest for stories for my book project.

I thought I was in the right mindset to sit down and do 'an impossible thing' (see my blog "6 Impossible Things Before Lunch"). I have had words stirring in my mind for a long time - an email that I wanted to send to a friend that I have lost touch with (neglected perhaps?). This is a friend that is 'tied up' with my past, so it is trickier navigation at times as the past intermingles with the present and it is too easy to be hurt or unintentionally do hurtful things. Because I knew that fault lied with me, for not keeping in closer touch, it was hard to do. But by the time I sat down this morning, the words were all at my fingertips.

I no sooner got to the point in my email where I needed to take a step back from it and reread it in a different light, when I got a phone call from another 'friend of my past'. Again ... both of us in a vulnerable spot where one is easily offended or hurt. It is so sad when someone who used to be so close, becomes someone you almost need to keep a distance from, because of those wounds - either fresh or newly healed.

To make a long story short, I ended my morning with a good visit under my belt with both of these friends. One, in person ... the other via email (a rather one-sided visit there, but at least a beginning). 'The gift of friends'....

The next item on the agenda was to pick up my cousin and head out to her Mom's in Davidson to 'research' the family history book.

Well. This cousin is a breath of fresh air. Purely enjoyable to be around, visit with, laugh with, and reminisce with. Our trip there and back went so fast as we managed to do a 'lifetime' of catching up in less than 2 1/2 hours.

And the visit at my aunts, with another aunt that I'm certain that I've really never spoken to in my life (she was married to my Mom's younger brother that we didn't see alot, as I grew up) was absolutely ... a gift.

I have stepped completely out of my comfort zone to call these family members to suggest we collect up the family's memories to put into a book. And I was welcomed into their homes and collection of family stories like I was a long lost friend (instead of a timid niece that barely spoke as a child).

We laughed ... and we laughed ... and we laughed (the 'gift of laughter'). Reminiscing with this most amazing group of relatives was something to behold. The memories of a time long ago that was most definately a life filled with challenges were recalled with fondness (and even the ability to almost chuckle over the stories about the frozen indoor 'commode' ... details left best to the imagination).

I hope that I am able to capture the essence of the feelings of this walk down memory lane, as I put all of these stories together.

I am blessed to be a part of a most special family. 'The gift of family'.

And today has been 'The Ultimate Gift'...........

No comments:

Post a Comment