Monday, March 17, 2008

The "Undo" Button

It wasn't too long into my 'Microsoft Word' journey that I discovered the "undo" icon. Wow! What an amazing discovery! Since then, I've found an ''undo'' option in a few other places as well. That would have been nice to know a few times that I magically erased an entire email that was almost ready to send, but each time I did that I just thought to myself "I guess those words just weren't meant to be read."

How nice it would be to have that ''undo'' button in life! To quickly undo your last mistake (that is the key, you can't ''undo'' yourself out of a whole series of mistakes ... believe me, I have tried). Whether it was to take back that email you sent off too hastily, recall some words you spoke, rewind the 'tape' a little and avoid that accident ... the possibilities are endless.

But one ''button'' we actually do have and have the option to use, is ''pause''. Put an email aside before you hit ''send''; take a long breath before you speak; focus our attention on what we are doing and give ourselves a moment to pause.

The pause is an option I have and I should get in the habit of using it.

The other button I'd like is a ''mute'' one. I guess nature has an option for that one and it is called hearing loss. Given the option, I'll take the noise.

There is always an option....

No comments:

Post a Comment