Saturday, April 19, 2008

Back to Normal?

This past week has flown by as I tended to 'wrapping up' projects on the go and tending to life at hand ...

"The Book" is out of my hands. I finally had to let it go (which was much harder than I had anticipated) and send it off to the publishing company that is going to print it up and put it into a hard cover book form.

I had technically finished the 'first draft' by March 23rd. I puttered and played. I tweaked and corrected. I read and reread (and read and reread ... and read and reread again and again). I reworded and deleted. I added, changed, edited. I formatted and reformatted.

And finally ... Wednesday afternoon, I sent it on its way. It is out of my hands now. And within the next few weeks, I should be holding the first copy they send out for my approval in my hands.

It has been like conceiving, raising and letting go of a child. Only in fast forward.

The idea was conceived 9 years ago. The idea was acted upon 3 months ago. The final product was sent 'out into the world' 3 days ago.

It has been quite a journey. 99.9% of the time it has been enjoyable. There were moments along the way when I truly questioned my ability to see it through to completion. But I had it pictured in my mind. I was committed to it. I could see it. I could feel it. It was real.

I would do it again in a heartbeat. I've taken the long road this time, as I discovered the short cuts the long way. I've learned more about 'Microsoft Word' than I thought was possible. I've discovered the effective and less effective way of gathering stories ... though even less effective ways were a lot of fun!

I have learned so very, very much. And I have gained the knowledge of some of my family's stories. And I've gotten to know a lot of my family much better.

It has been a gift. And I truly can't wait to regift those who gave so much to me, by delivering their copy of The Book to them.

Mom's birthday gathering is behind us ... The Book is out on its own ... I do believe my life will soon return to normal.

I got to enjoy living outside the 'norm'. I have gained so much these past 3 months. I'm not so sure 'normal' is where I want to return back to. I want to hold onto as much of this goodness as I can. And I shall strive to find a way to do so.

Maybe I won't return to normal. Maybe I'll create a new normal ....

No comments:

Post a Comment