Friday, April 18, 2008

This Was a Test .... It Was Only a Test ...

I like when life gives you a trial run of an emergency (especially when you find out at the end of it all, it wasn't an emergency after all) ...

This week has been a week like that.

I am blessed with a body that just doesn't quit. It seems that I can shake off or avoid most of the colds or flus that pass through the house (and with running a daycare, a lot of germs pass through this way). Any time I've had any health concern, it's just been a little 'blip' on the radar. Just a warning ... no underlying serious issue to deal with.

Sunday, I knew that something was amiss with my body. My big concern was that it could be a blood clot, and knowing that I can't afford any kind of personal emergency while I have a house full of kids, I did check it out. The doctor did say it had to be investigated further and ordered tests.

Everything seems to move in slow motion in the medical world at times. By yesterday there was still no word back on the tests and my sister convinced me to see my family doctor.

So, I innocently thought that I would be back from my 12:30 appointment with my doctor by 1:30 or 2:00. I was wrong.

My doctor sent me directly to emergency and I had 5 more hours to sit and think about my back up plans if surgery was necessary (which sounded likely at one point).

My number one blessing is my family. Had my 'symptoms' not started when I still had company from Mom's party, I doubt my family would have been any the wiser. But Mom was quick on the follow-up call and I was relieved to tell her that I had been checked out; tests were ordered and I had the situation under control. But between Mom and my sister, they kept phoning to check in (and eventually my sister wouldn't give up until I went to my own doctor).

My number two blessing is my 'back up'. I had a friend offer to babysit for me, if ever the need arose. And yesterday it arose unexpectedly. And true to her word ... she was there (or here, more aptly put). She was here and walking in my shoes (that I think 'fit' her better than they do me, perhaps!) in no time flat.

My number three blessing is the fact that I have a little bit of savings (I must admit that I did a quick scan of my account balances as the week unfolded) and I thought I could probably support myself for a month if I was suddenly unable to work. The biggest pitfall of self employment is that if you don't work, you don't get paid.

And my infinite amount of blessings are in the back up to my back up plans. I have a sister that would have dropped everything and been here, if it was necessary. I have a Mom that was immediately concerned about my finances, if I couldn't work and was ready to 'be there'. I have a son that stepped up to the plate yesterday on a moments notice and came over to relieve my friend from her babysitting commitment (one hour turned into six, was not part of my request!), and take care of Kurt until I was done. And I am blessed with a family doctor that takes action.

I do believe that the day ended up being a false alarm (my many 'diagnosises' were: a cyst; an absess; lymph node, an incarcerated hernia and the last one was a hemotoma). At a minimum, I'm relieved that I was taken seriously. I'm grateful that it turns out that all the serious options have been ruled out. But most of all ... I am at peace, knowing that I have a strong support system and Plans A, B and C to fall back on.

This was a test. It was only a test.

No comments:

Post a Comment