Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Past

I guess a person really knows they have moved on, when a person from their past phones and initiates a conversation that has the potential to relive and stir up the emotions of a time gone by. Then as soon as the phone is hung up, "life goes on." No residual feelings. No replaying the conversation to look for hidden meanings. No anger or sadness. Nothing.

When I think about the 'forever relationships' gone wrong and the reappearance of these people in my life that has nothing to do with our children, I think about the home that I found for our dog. And how thrilled that I am that he has found the loving and appreciative family that he so deserved. This is truly all I wish for the ''exes'' in my life. I would love to hear that they have found a loving and appreciative person in their life. But I don't think it is my job to find it for them (I didn't sign onto that, like I did when I adopted our dog from the SPCA). If we can hold a friendly conversation that is not tied to our past, that would be good (but not essential).

It isn't easy picking up the pieces. But it is necessary. I feel that a person must acknowledge that it takes 2 people to make a relationship work ... it takes 2 to argue ... one person is never entirely to blame ... try to learn from the experience ... grieve it ... let the anger come ... and go ... honor the good parts (but don't romanticize them) ... rebuild yourself from the inside ... and look towards the future.

Life has gone on for me. As it should for every person in a relationship that hasn't withstood the tests of time.

I honor the past .... but I am letting it go.

No comments:

Post a Comment