Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Garage Sale

9:55 am

As I sit and gaze at the accumulated stuff that we are willing to part with ... I am aghast.

Granted, a lot of the stuff we have for sale are things that we bought at a garage sale, got years of use from and are willing to let go of.

When I look at some things and know that we have made good use of them and have outgrown or out used it, I'm happy to know that it was money well spent.

I look at my collection of books. I'm an avid reader and I just can't seem to reign myself in, when one of my (many) favorite authors comes out with a new book. I love when I can lend out books from my collection and share the wealth. So I've dragged out my entire library. If someone can enjoy a book at a bargain price, that is a bonus. I'll keep whatever doesn't sell.

It's when I look at the things that only got minimal use that I cringe (well ... we did pay for our tent with one use since we would have stayed in a hotel if we hadn't tented ... and it did get used a handful of times after that). But really as I sit here and look around me, there are only a few items that fit that description.

The really sad part is in the unused gifts. I've received so many well intended gifts over the course of time. Gifts full of good intentions but something that I would never use. So as I sell those items, I'm reminded of the good deeds and thoughts that were the true gift behind the material item in front of me.

The fun of this sale is in the conversations (that, sitting in among the stuff that defines you promotes). There is sense of knowing a person and relating to a common interest that is revealed by placing many of your life's belongings out for the world to see. A fast forward way of knowing a small piece of a person. Then, there are the neighbors that drop by with an excuse to chat ... and the hope that a friend may stop by for a coffee.

There is so much more than simply the money that can be made at a garage sale. Maybe that is the reason I have them on a semi regular basis.

After sitting among the material excess around me this morning, I vow that I'll never let this material overload happen again!

Ya, right .....

No comments:

Post a Comment