Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Rules for Being Human

It's kind of funny. I thought I would take a glimpse back on the journalling of my thoughts one year ago today. There were a few paragraphs that I was going to 'copy and paste' so that I could comment on them here this morning. And for some unknown reason, I couldn't 'right click' on the page. So I couldn't easily move the words from the past into my present.

Devine intervention perhaps? I am not focusing on looking back. I am focusing on the present. I'm not even really looking too far in the future. I am making the most of each day as it comes. Opening it as if it was a gift and determined to make the most of it in whatever way suits the day.

I'm looking at the past as something that has launched me into ''today.'' There are emotions that I could unearth but it serves no purpose.

The words in that specific passage in my journalling that sum it all up are " .... I trusted him. And it is gone ..." There is a 'book' in those words. Many incidents and emotions that preceded all of that (on both sides). It doesn't hurt any more. I look back and what I see is a lesson learned. Finally.

In an article Rules for Being Human, there is a paragraph that states: "A lesson is repeated until it is learned. A lesson will be presented to you in various forms until you have learned it. When you have learned it (as evidenced by a change of attitude and behavior), then you can go on to the next lesson."

I look back to my journal entry from one year ago today (and it could have been any of the 30 years that preceded that), and I feel that I have finally learned that lesson.

I feel like a different person. I respect and care for myself. And I believe that is the basis on which to form friendships and relationships in your life. People will mirror the way you treat yourself. If you beat yourself up over your less than redeeming qualities, it is almost a certainty that you can find someone to join you.

I'm tired of being so hard on myself. I am human. I make mistakes. I pick myself up and carry on. The difference between the ''me'' then and the ''me'' now ... is that I am determined to learn that particular lesson and forge on to learn a new lesson!

Because the next point made in the article on the Rules for Being Human is: "Learning lessons does not end. There is no stage in life that does not contain some lessons. As long as you live, there will be something more to learn."

No comments:

Post a Comment