Monday, July 21, 2008

Slow Motion Today

I went through my morning ritual of not allowing myself to look at the clock the first time I woke up. The next time, the sun was shining brightly and I let myself peek. 5:45. Wow! I slept in a little. But I wasn't ready to move quite yet. 7:45 was the next time I woke.

After the 2 hour job of dismantling the garage sale and getting things back in order I had invited Wes and Dale over for a BBQ. I moaned to Kurt as I sat in the car (feeling like a huge dustball), picking up the garage sale signs, "What was I thinking?? This was a take-out food night."

But I showered and started getting ready for my guests. And it was one of the best family evenings we've had ... ever? We've had some enjoyable get togethers when Mom is here. But just my family? It's usually a little strained, conversation doesn't quite flow and everyone feels a little bit awkward.

Last night was perfect.

I still had several hours of work to do after everyone left - cleaning up from our BBQ, then I thought I'd quickly clean up the basement. Things needed more than a quick picking-up after the last of the renos created enough dust and dirt that required some deeper cleaning. Then I started moving things into the new bedroom. I thought I'd look at assembling the new futon. And then I felt like the broken air conditioner and computer. I just needed to power down, blow the dust out and try again in the morning.

My fingers are all numb as I type this, so I think I shall go and find a comfortable place to sit as I have my breakfast and a cup of coffee.

I'm not quite ready to power up yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment