Thursday, July 3, 2008

Visualization

"The Secret" is big on the idea of visualizing what you want to come true in your life. I have been putting this idea to practise and having a lot of success with it.

The Book was my biggest accomplishment in 2008. It started out as an idea 9 years ago ... the vastness of it stopped me in my tracks (for 9 years). The interest was reignited, after reading an inspirational article sent to me by a friend. Then an innocent conversation with my sister spurred me into taking that one small step forward.

One phone call led to the second phone call which led to a few letters ... and I was off and running. One forward step and all I had to do after that was to keep taking a step at a time. I pictured the reality I was aiming for. And now I'm literally holding it in my hands.

I have done the same with other smaller ideas. Start with an idea ... an invitation ... or accepting an invitation. Then I will envision what the reality of that occasion will be. It amazes me how a person seems to be able to make a vision become a reality.

Much of it starts with attitude. Weddings are a perfect example. In the past, I have had a hard time relaxing and enjoying weddings for some reason. Either I have a small child in tow ... or I'm single ... or I'm with someone ... Basically, I find an excuse to be uncomfortable in the situation, no matter what it is. This last wedding I attended, I went with the idea of 'making memories' as my goal. No concern as to my own personal feelings or situation. Making memories and finding a way to keep them fresh was the plan. No matter what was going on around me, nothing was deterring me from my plan. And it worked.

It was after all was said and done that I realized that the wedding dance didn't unearth any of my past emotions. When I've been single at these events, I have often wished for a 'dance partner' to accompany me. When I've had that partner, I've been uncomfortable with the situation. Wishing to dance when I couldn't ... or dancing when I wish I was sitting on the sidelines. No matter what side of the coin I was on, I was uncomfortable. This time, the dance was over and I realized that it didn't matter either way. I enjoyed the occasion and my own small part in the day was irrelevant.

I put all of these memories together to make a 'movie' of the day for my niece ... and as I put the finishing touches on the DVD cover, I quietly saw another dream become a reality.

When friends and I went away for an overnight trip to Regina, I had the same vision. Trying to find a way to put it all together in a way to hold onto it forever. As the first day unfolded, the dream wasn't a reality. I woke up the next morning with this awful ''Oh no'' feeling ... that it wasn't happening as I had seen it in my mind's eye. Then ... as the morning went along, it happened. Without a map to guide us, it still happened. Even better than I had envisioned. I came home and put 'the memories' all together ... and ... you guessed it. Another dream came true.

I just answered the question put before me today "What is on your bucket list" (what you want to do with your life before you kick the bucket). My answer was: "My goal is to keep the bucket empty. To follow my dreams and make them become reality." Making memories is my goal. Making big memories of small occasions is better than having one big occasion on 'the list' and not having the special memories that go along with it.

Making memories out of my day to day life is my goal. I am achieving that and then some. Life isn't about the 'big stuff'. It is all the small stuff that happens day in and day out that defines living. Making the small stuff special is my vision.

Sure, I'd love to go to Niagra Falls ... and I'd really love to go to see my Grandma's house in PEI (and turn it into a Bed and Breakfast!). I'd love to take an Alaskan cruise and visit a friend who lives there ... I'd love to pack my bags and just wander around the western provinces and visit with friends and make new memories to go along with the older ones. These are beyond my reality today. If I had one wish for today's reality, it would be to see my nephew perform at a comedy club tonight. That is attainable. Maybe I'll see what I can do about that dream.

One day at a time. One step at a time. Enjoy the small stuff. That is what life is made of. Making special memories out of every day occurrences is something that anyone can do.

That is my vision.

No comments:

Post a Comment