Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Life ... The Sequel

By this time, last year I had casually scribbled down a list of goals as I journaled my thoughts. As I wrote them, I was feeling so low that my ultimate goal was to do one of the 'impossible things' on my list, to get me out of a bad slump. When I reread that list almost a year later, I discovered that I had unconsciously done every single thing I had challenged myself to do that day.

As I've struggled to pull myself out of the lethargic post-holiday mode, I knew it was time to draw up a new list. I never did actually put pen to paper, but I had some ideas on a back burner and I thought, "Now is the time".

I am so pleased to say that as of today, I have plans in place that mirror what was going on in my life a year ago ...

I am pretty sure that my whole family (sisters, brother and mom) will be together this upcoming weekend for an anniversary gathering of my aunt and uncles. A year ago, my sisters, brother and I were planning a secret sibling sleepover to start planning Mom's birthday gathering.

Then this afternoon, we planned a 'Spa Night' with the girls for next month. A girls night out, only 'in' (at my place). I can already picture us in our facial masks, the laughter and the ease of enjoying each others company. I can feel it as though it is happening right now. A year ago, this same group was meeting in Moose Jaw at the Mineral Spa there. We met at the spa, soaked in the mineral waters there ... but we didn't do the 'spa treatment' thing. This year we shall!

And today, the wheels have been set in motion to start collecting stories for another family's history. That didn't happen in my own world until January of this year, so I'm a little ahead of schedule on that one. But it feels so good to take a step in a forward direction. The first step is always the hardest ...

The thing that pleases me immensely is that a few of the challenges that I faced just over a year ago aren't a challenge any more.

I can pick up the phone, dial it and talk to someone without breaking into a cold sweat. Dialing the phone and initiating a phone call was an 'impossible thing' not that long ago for me.

The other thing that has become very comfortable, is initiating a get together. I may have had ideas before, but I rarely acted on them. Now ... if I have an idea, I voice it. I have had several ideas that haven't been responded to ... and that's okay. I've gained the confidence to speak and say "What do you think about this?" and I'm okay with any response I get. Good, bad or indifferent.

It is wonderful to be excited about life. I wonder what I'll be sitting and reflecting about this time next year??

No comments:

Post a Comment