Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Very Good Thing About a Very Bad Day

I have had an awful lot of days not worth writing about since I have returned from holidays. Then when I did have some fun and eventful days, I was so busy living my life that I didn't have time to write about it. It's a good conundrum. But I was feeling badly for neglecting my blog because I really enjoy writing down my thoughts.

Well, the details of today are many. I'm sure I could write a book about the hills I climbed today. Things started out bad and got worse. Kids yelling, screaming and running made for an unenjoyable backdrop to the day. It rained rather heavily and intermittently so we were stuck inside for most of the day. Add to that, the fact that my day started with the first arrivals at 6:30 am and the last pick up of the day was at 6:00 pm. I had my own frustrations and tensions throughout the day just to add an extra dimension. So I was not a happy camper.

But for every cloud there is a silver lining.

Yesterday ended with a family giving me 5 days notice for the 2 weeks of vacation they will be taking the next two weeks. My budget is stretched past the max this month (and the next one, the one after that and the one after that one), so I vocalized my concern and frustration (I continually remind people of the 2 week notice that I think is courteous) at instantly losing half of a pay cheque I was totally relying on. It is money that I can't 'steal from Peter to pay Paul' ... I simply must do without something. And I realized that cancelling my dance lessons for a month would cover a good part of what I will be short this month. The good news, is that meant calling my dance instructor today to tell him I'd be back in a month. And we had a very enjoyable chat. Yes. I must dance. My instructor is so fun to be around. Dancing makes me happy! A short conversation was better than nothing. That was a highlight to my afternoon.

Then, I offered to help out a friend by printing off some invitations for her. This resulted in a restless sleep last night, a knot in my chest when I woke up, the fear that I couldn't do what I promised, then technical difficulties with my printer, that mounted more and more as the morning progressed (as the noise levels rose higher and higher). It was a blessing when the printer ran out of ink. I had no choice. I had to stop. While I stopped I made a few well placed phone calls and had a plan of attack as soon as the kids were gone. I had another box of invitations put on hold for me (I was ruining so many I needed to know I had back up). And as soon as I got things going again tonight, I realized that we had half as many invitations as we needed so I truly did need those I had on hold. I made a quick run to the store, she had them at the service counter for me (so I was in and out of the store really quickly) and ... I won some free pens with a 'scratch and win' that she handed me when I paid for it. I love pens. So I was tickled pink when I won some cool pens!

I marvelled to My Youngest all the way home about the good thing about having a bad day. If you have just a regular old hum-drum, normal kind of day you wind up the day with no real feelings - good or bad. But surviving a bad day, overcoming obstacles, completing a task and ... winning some pens!! ... I tell you, it's like walking on air. I couldn't be happier.

And the other good thing about a bad day is that usually (not always, but usually), the next day is much better.

And it will be. I am sure of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment