Saturday, October 4, 2008

Making Room for Change

It is official. My request for a leave of absence from my Saturday job has been approved.

The idea of not having to physically be somewhere else on Saturday mornings, not having to worry about childcare on Saturdays, having flexibility to make weekend plans and having those 2 consecutive days off ... is fantastic!

But I haven't made this decision without the conscious awareness of how I can utilize the time I have given back to myself.

I have new goals, ideas and ambitions. They were all starting to appear in my life just before my unexpected surgery. And the idea of the new things I had added to my life was just a little bit daunting. Then ... my health made me stop in my tracks ... I listened to the answers that surfaced to the top of my consciousness in the quiet of my recovery time. And I have arrived.

I am in a new but familiar place. All that I am, is stemming from my home. I am working, playing and living .. all from the comfort of my home.

It is a pure blessing to me, to make a living for myself. From home. I've added a new job to my home-career (one that I'd love to blossom, as it requires enough checks and balances to challenge my brain). And I'm allowing myself to take steps towards putting together 2 more family's histories and memories. This is something that fuels a passion in me.

I have the time and energy to nurture my relationships with family and friends. There was a time that I was so greedy with the morsels of time left at the end of a day or week or during time off. Now, I welcome the luxury of having the time to have room in my life for friendships to flourish, get to know my extended family better and take the time to savor the moments with my immediate family.

Time. It is a finite object. Yes, a person can cram a lot of living into a short time frame. But in the long haul, it is important to me to have the time to enjoy the small moments in life. It has always been about the 'small stuff' with me. I can handle the moments of crisis in stride. It is in the mundaneness of day to day living, the ruts I get into, taking relationships for granted and the routines I have become slave to, that I lose myself.

This fall has reawakened the part in me that is ready for change. Small steps. Steps that are more comfortable than they were a year ago. But steps that I'm ready to take.

I've cleared the path in my life to make room for the changes I see ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment