Thursday, December 25, 2008

The Most Wonderful Christmas of All

It was a day that was simple in its pleasures, rich in memories and gifts that money can't buy.

I really had no expectations of today and as each hour unfolded, I was pleasantly surprised with many quiet blessings. The greatest gift of all is the harmony within my family.

There have been some rough roads in our relationships with each other, but each time we get together it seems a little better. Our 'history' hasn't without some painful times, but it seems that bit by bit, things keep getting better.

My boys. They each reflect a different part of the person I am and the person I have been.

I was a shell of a person when Wes was young. I didn't think for myself, let guilt guide my choices and I took a few detours in my life that directly impacted Wes. I can still see a glimmer of that pain when I see my reflection in Wes' eyes.

It was during Dale's young years when I started to forgive myself and make better choices for my family. I was a stronger, more confident and happier person when I raised him. And I see those traits in Dale.

Kurt is still young and we have some road left to travel. But what I see in him is appreciation of his family, a sense of humor and brothers that he looks up to.

Today was a gift. Wes welcomed our family into his home and hosted a most special Christmas day together. Dale seasoned the festivities with a perfect blend of humor, generosity and the gifts he gives that have little to do with what is under the wrapping. Kurt seems to realize that he is a very fortunate little brother. He has witnessed just enough of our family's troubles to appreciate a happy occasion such as today.

Dale's gift to me included a quote from the bible that tells me that he sees the whole picture. Triumph over adversity ...

"My son, peace be unto thy soul, thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment.

And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes."

- Doctrine and Covenants 121
As said by 'Joseph Smith the prophet'

No comments:

Post a Comment