Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Life's Distractions

I sat down with a thought and started writing a few hours ago. Then the phone rang and I lost the flow of where I thought that thought may take me.

So it is with life. You start out with an idea of where you think you are headed and you meet up with a distraction, a challenge, a new idea or a fork in the road.

When I think of all the choices that I made to get from 'there' to 'here', I'm grateful for every turn that my road has taken. I feel like I'm on the path that I was meant to live.

I started thinking about the 'roads not taken' when my uncle mentioned an opportunity that my dad had, to work out east back in the 1950's. It would be so interesting to hear what my dad would have to say about his choices back then but he is not around to tell us his story. One can only hope that he felt that he was following his chosen path. That he wasn't living his life against the current, but going with the flow of where he was meant to be ...

The quote from Oprah's 'Best Life' series that spoke to me today was: "Any time you are resisting what "is" (instead of what you thought it was going to be), you have more stress in your life because you won't accept what "is". I equate that resistance with 'going against the flow' of life. When I feel like I am walking against the current in life, it is like I'm resisting life's natural course of events. I never did like to cause waves. Life is not only simpler that way, but I think it was the path that I was meant to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment