Friday, January 16, 2009

Rejection

One week ago, I was flying high because I was so excited that I was approached about my writing by 2 separate sources. Writing is something that fuels me, sustains me and entertains me. It felt like my passion for writing was drawing opportunities to me.

Then came Sunday ... the friend that had asked me for some help with putting together ideas, motto's and titles for her new business called me and told me that she came up with her own ideas and words (after I had already sacrificed 2 hours of my Saturday evening so that I wouldn't have to face that task on Sunday). Oh well. I chalked it up to experience. I was still complimented that I had come to mind when she thought of someone who could help her with some 'words'.

Then ... the dance blog. I was given free rein. No ideas what he was looking for, no censoring when I wrote and saved things so that he could decide what he wanted to post. He just posted everything and was focusing on the creative and practical side of what he wanted this blog to do for him. Then ... a few of my blog entries disappeared. I took note of which ones were deleted and got a better idea what he must have been looking for (one should never assume they know what another person is thinking). He's busy at the studio so I have let him call me. I just quietly sat by and tried to deduce what he was after by the clues he gave me.

I got up this morning and there was an email awaiting me - something from 'Blog spot', to do with the dance blog. I checked it out - only to find out that I had been deleted as an author and all of my entries were deleted. I thought to myself "So this is how rejection feels." I went about the morning doing all of my morning things. I wrote in several blogs but I let the dance blog issue simmer before I put a voice to how I felt. Amazingly okay. Numb. But okay.

As the day progressed, I reasoned everything out. Whatever reasons that he had for deleting me and my words were okay. I read the blog that he had posted and it had a very different flavor than my writing does. Then I thought of a name that I could call a dance blog if I started one up myself. I thought of how I could approach it and what I could focus on. I was not discouraged.

I carried the thought that being rejected is part of the process. It stung a little bit, because in both of my scenarios, I was accepted first. Then ... rejected as the second part of the process. I didn't think that was how it was supposed to happen, but I haven't had a lot of rejections in my life lately so I thought I must have been due.

Then I got a call this afternoon. The owner of the dance studio wanted to re invite me to author the blog. He explained the process by which he deleted me. Long story short, he was concerned about what people could find out about me and details of my life when they clicked on my profile. Then, he was trying to get certain entries on the blog to show up in a certain order, so he deleted my blogs to make that happen. He explained how it all unfolded and I was quietly relieved. I'm glad that I didn't waste my energy on putting a negative spin on what turned out to be an innocent glitch.

Our conversation ended before I could ask him exactly what he was looking for with this blog. He mentioned one of my entries that he liked ... but I don't think I'll post anything to it until I talk to him first.

It has been an interesting lesson in rejection. It's good to be brought down to earth now and again. But it is also invigorating to fly!

No comments:

Post a Comment