Sunday, February 15, 2009

Time Out For Me

I hit the ground running yesterday. Not literally, but my mind was in 'go' mode from the moment I woke up.

I started my day by immediately posting in some of my blogs and making my 'Friday video' (for my daycare blog). My first blog entry was stamped with the time 5:59 am and by 10:30 am, the daycare movie was downloaded and the final blog entry was posted.

I stopped to have breakfast at that point, then I forged onto my next project. I then worked at my family 'book project' for the next 3 1/2 hours. I then took a 5 minute break before I tackled my biggest hurdle of the day. The book keeping job that I had to conquer this weekend.

I worked feverishly at the book keeping job for the next 6 hours, stopping only to move and to stretch. I set a few milestones for myself along the way and by the time I had reached my final milestone I was so close to the end, that I could feel it. I stuck with it until the job was done. Not to haunt me for the rest of the weekend. I conquered that mountain and though it was a hard climb, I reached the summit.

I knew that the sanest thing to do at that point would be to do some stretching exercises after spending 15 hours at the computer. But I couldn't. I made myself some popcorn for supper, grabbed some licorice (did I mention that I had part of a bag of chips and the last 2 pieces of chocolate in the house for lunch?) and I sat down to watch 'Private Practice' (I am totally hooked on the ability to watch missed episodes of certain TV programs off of the Internet). Again, I was tied to the computer but my body and mind were in a totally relaxed state.

Amazingly enough, I woke up feeling the need to nurture myself this morning. I was wide awake by 4:30 am but I knew that I was not up to starting my day that early. After checking my emails (yes, I am totally addicted to the computer ... I think that maybe that was the most relaxing part of my 5 day vacation that I took after Christmas), I crawled back into bed and turned on the tail end 'Ross and Rachel' marathon ('Friends' episodes) that one of the channels was running. And thankfully, the TV worked its usual magic for me. I fell asleep. By 8:00, I decided that it was a sane hour to start the day.

I started the day with exercise (from this site on Oprah's site: http://www.oprah.com/media/20080601_tows_tows_20071101_2 ). It felt sooooooo good to move and stretch. Next, I had my breakfast smoothie and coffee while I watched 'Flashpoint' (again, off the missed episodes on the http://www.ctv.ca/ site). I had a bath and got ready for the day. And I feel renewed and refreshed and ready to tackle another day.

I have no desire to be hooked to the computer for 16 hours again today ... but I do want to continue the work that I started on my 'book project' yesterday. I have a long, long way to go. But I'm gaining some momentum that I don't want to lose.

Now that I've taken the morning for myself, I am going to have coffee with a friend and then I'm back to my book project.

Ahhh ... it feels good to give yourself a break!! Take one for yourself and see for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment