Monday, February 16, 2009

Winding Down the Weekend

It was a very rewarding weekend. I accomplished all (and a little bit more) that I set out to do. I have overcome the overwhelmed state that I was in, at the onset of these 3 days off.

It is amazing how energizing it is, to confront challenges. I feel like I have tamed a lion. Instead of feeling drained because of the work I have done, I have more energy than ever because a daunting task is being dealt with.

The energy one spends on feeling overwhelmed and becoming paralyzed in that state is amazing. The size of the job in front of you grows in your mind and becomes that untamed lion. You don't know where to begin, how to take that first step and you can't even envision dealing with the work that you have set out before you.

It all starts with one simple step. Begin.

Break a huge job into little pieces. Just face one piece at a time. By simply taking one step in a forward direction, you are one step closer ... no matter how far off the destination is. One step closer is better than 2 steps back (usually where you are, if you sit and do nothing and the job does grow bigger).

Looking back on where I was this time last year and the obstacles I overcame was a good launching pad for success. I felt like I had so far to go to get this next family history in order. But compared to where I was in this process last year, I am miles ahead.

I still have miles to go. I am still a tad overwhelmed. But nothing compared to what I was before I took that first step.

A step in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment