Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Time to Get Serious

The extra pounds keep finding their way onto my body despite my best efforts to eat healthier, eat less and move more. It is so disheartening.

As the numbers on the scale screamed at me once again the past 3 days, I wish there was a pill that I could take to make my weight return to its previous state.

I know that I could be making wiser food choices, but when I'm doing so many other things correctly, I have let myself off the hook for an 'emotional' eating choice at the end of the day. That is one habit that I must work hard to break.

The best thing that I've done is to purchase ''Wii Fit''. It tracks the days and minutes you exercise. There is a scoring system that the competitive side of me thrives on. There have been several days that I probably would have chose not to exercise but I wanted to put that stamp on my calendar that records my exercise habits. So I was motivated.

Last night, I was beyond tired. I had found myself a sunbeam and waves of exhaustion kept overtaking my need to get moving. I finally convinced myself to just go down and work on some of the 'balance games' on Wii Fit. Maybe not a full blown work-out ... but at least I would be moving. Well, one thing led to the next and by the time I was finished (close to 2 hours later), I had worked out all of the muscle groups I wanted to and gone for a few of the aerobic challenges that get my heart pumping.

And what did I do when I finally got myself wound down for the day? Nibbled on part of a bag of chips. The old me would have polished off an entire bag of chips. The new me can walk away from some temptation. Not all of it ... but some of it.

My emotional eating habit is the hardest one to break. I eat when I'm tired, when I'm bored, when I think I deserve a reward, to get through a tough kid-day and to be sociable. I have several vitamins and supplements that need to taken with food, so I eat when it's time to take these. I eat when I'd rather be in the presence of another human being or so that I can stay awake to watch a movie and because it's a habit.

After reading that paragraph, I can see that it is really no wonder that I'm adding on the pounds! I can't eat and write at the same time (believe me, I've tried!) ... so I should write more.

In this world of 'instant everything', I want an instant solution. I have to remember that it has taken over a year to get my body to this state of disrepair. It will take over a year to get myself back to where I used to be. I just want it sooner!

That said, it is time to bundle the kids and go outside for a walk and a chance to breathe in some fresh, spring air.

It's time. Time to break some bad habits and find my inner self. The one that is inside of the extra pounds that have been added onto this body of mine!

1 comment: