Thursday, April 30, 2009

Success in the Calorie Budget

Yesterday I had my first brush with 'real life' eating, in this food budget that I am on. Not only did Dale drop by with a Robin's Donuts breakfast sandwich ... but he issued a supper invitation at the same time.

I had a slight moment of anxiety as the sandwich was placed before me. But I thought "This is life ... juggle the numbers ..." And I did. I savored every morsel of that sandwich because it was so foreign to my taste buds after a few weeks of carefully considering the food I consumed.

Then, he issued a supper invitation. Not only was I trying to figure out how I would accomplish what I had to do last night, if I accepted his invitation ... I was immediately wondering just how I would juggle the calorie load.

What feels best about this food 'budget', is that nothing is off limits. I can satisfy a craving, I can go out and eat what is offered and I have some room to negotiate the numbers and still succeed in consuming less calories than I would have before.

I'm anticipating budgeting in some of my favorite snack foods some day. If I juggle the numbers and have some low-cal snack options on hand ... I can still indulge myself in a mini feast of the (usually) forbidden items on any other healthier eating plan that I have tried.

My digestive system doesn't even work properly if I don't allow myself to eat what my body craves. If I feel like something is completely off limits, I crave it in the worst way. Just knowing that I can consume what I want to, creates a completely different mentality for me.

I feel like I am on the right road. If I continue to follow this plan (I have given myself a 6 month goal), I should notice some difference. Even if I can simply stop the upward spiral that my weight has been taking, that will be a start.

It feels good to balance the budget ... in all areas of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment