Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Unexpected Benefits of Budgeting Calories

I have been journaling my food/calorie intake for a month now. I've charted my calorie intake - the good, the bad and the ugly. I've kept track of my weight fluctuations (many!) and I've recorded any exercise that I've done.

I had some really bad days ... some really good ones ... but on the average, I would simply say that I am a whole lot better off than I was a month ago.

The 'Wii Fit' charts my weight. This morning I took a look at the 3 month overall view. My weight fluctuates widely, but what I noticed this morning is that the past month it has hovered in a lower quadrant on the chart. I am still 2 pounds heavier than my lightest weight charted ... but almost 10 pounds lower than my high.

I am becoming addicted to exercise. Even when I wake up exhausted and my body doesn't want to move, I think of checking in with my 'Wii trainer'. I talk myself into weighing in and then just doing a little yoga to stretch. Yoga feels great in the morning.

I can watch TV programs as I do the 'basic step' or run on the spot. Last night, as I watched the 2 hour finale of Dancing With the Stars, I 'ran' for 20 minutes and 'walked' for 90 minutes. The real bonus of that scenario is that I didn't eat a bag of chips, a bowl of ice cream and a handful of cookies!

Then ... there is the is the point that I intended to make when I titled this blog - the unexpected benefits I have been reaping during this past month.

My spending has decreased incredibly. I've spent a little bit more on the food in the 'outer aisles' of the grocery store. But I've saved a fortune on chips, ice cream, chocolate and the various snack items that I used to inhale on a regular basis.

It was getting so bad that I asked Kurt to hide the junk food from me. He would go to get a snack and the junk food spot would be empty. I ate the entire bag of Easter eggs that I had gotten for him (no loss to him - he didn't know I'd bought them anyway). But when I ate the rest of his solid chocolate Easter bunny without his permission, I knew I had a problem.

Then ... there is the take-out habit that I kicked the minute I saw how many calories were in my favorite food choices. I studied those nutritional information sheets over and over again and the only true way of getting the most from your calories at a fast food place, is to order a basic salad instead of fries. Hey, I can make a better salad at home for a fraction of the cost. Thus ... I have easily opted out of going out for a quick bite to eat.

The other thing that I should have charted was the cost savings that I have reaped during the month.

My success far exceeds a (slightly) lower number on the scale. A healthier frame of mind (gained by eating healthier and moving more) and a very healthy budget are a reward unto themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment