Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Life's Excesses

I bought a few too many fresh fruits and vegetables for the company that I had last week. I sliced and diced up the left over fruit and froze those immediately (for my breakfast smoothies - which will now be seasoned with memories of 'the visit' every time I have one). This morning, I dealt with the excessive vegetables that were left over.

I couldn't help but think of the bible story where Jesus fed a throng of people with one fish and one loaf of bread. I thought to myself - He must have invited my family to the party!

The fruits and vegetables that I prepared were served with the meal 2 nights; 2 fruit salads for each morning (and I sent a good portion of that home with one of the guests); a very large vegetable salad (and a good deal of that went home with my guest as well) and the amount left over was astounding.

I felt that if I had served one of each fruit and vegetable that I had supplied, they would have miraculously multiplied to feed my guests. It was almost biblical in the way that so little food fed so many.

This also speaks highly of the generosity of my company. If you ask anyone in my family to bring one item to a pot luck supper and just enough hot dogs to feed their family ... you may as well ask them to host the event.

As host (and with the thought of feeding my family of 6 plus 2 guests), I felt that I should supply the extras. After looking at the left over food, one would guess that my company left very, very hungry ... or else everyone else supplied just as much as I did to the meal.

But other than 2 (very large) bags of lettuce which were left over (someone donated a small box full of lettuce from their garden after I had cleaned and shredded the lettuce that I thought we would need) ... there was absolutely no waste. Excesses were taken home with my guests or frozen (my 2 day fast plus Kurt's fussy appetite meant that we couldn't utilize the extras that I supplied).

'The More You Give, the More You Receive' is an adage that is quoted when it comes to attracting wealth, prosperity and abundance in life. This can be applied to every aspect in life. From pot luck suppers, to opening up your heart and home and giving for the sake of giving.

I have attracted wealth that far exceeds any monetary value into my life. As I dealt with the excess food after my guests departed, it was not the food that I saw ... it was the relationships that we are building and the memories that we are making.

"... As I go along life's way I'm reaping better than I sow;
I'm drinking from my saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed
..."

- Drinking From My Saucer - author unknown
(click on the link 'Drinking From My Saucer' for the full poem)

No comments:

Post a Comment