Friday, August 14, 2009

Student Status

As I ran around last night, student loan papers in hand ... I felt like I was 18 years old.

I went to my new school and formalized my commitment to furthering my education in writing. We went through the final stages of the registration process, through the student hand book, the financing, cheques are written and I'm ready to go. All I have to do now, is show up with my books and eagerness to learn on Sept 1st and get to work.

As I took my student loan papers to the post office for the final signatures and ID checks, I felt like a young student. As the girl helping me mentioned how many of these loan documents were coming in, I couldn't help but be reminded of my advancing years.

I woke up this morning to find a message in my inbox from a cousin who is my age "Way to go on school! I have thought of it a thousand times and have not had the courage yet." What an impact those words made on me. Someone who is in a parallel situation has considered the same option.

As I spilled my news to one of the instructors at the dance studio and once again (conscious of my mature (over ripe?) student status) confessed how old I felt to be doing such a 'young' thing ... I was reassured that many people at all ages (even mine) are continuing their education.

At every turn, I am encouraged. My family is behind me ... and then some. I had an uplifting conversation with my mom, when I called her yesterday to let her know that my financing was completely covered. She was positive and encouraging in everything that we spoke about (and we spoke of much more than school). She passed along the enthusiasm in which one of my sisters commented on my 'new life'. My brother ended his last email with the sentence "Relish the thought of what is in store for you." My other sister sent me the words: "You are so brave to make this big step! I know that you will be successful, as you can do anything that you put your mind to."

Another email that I woke up to this morning was from a friend " ... it made me think of you and how you are making things happen in your life ... "

Who needs financial backing when you've got support like this?? At every turn, I am encouraged. I am fueled with the belief that this is the best route for me to take right now. My life is headed in the direction I want it to take. Doors are opening ... all I have to do is walk through them.

No comments:

Post a Comment