Saturday, September 12, 2009

Fortunes

We went out to an Asian restaurant last night and I had 2 fortunes tucked into my fortune cookie:

"Tomorrow will be a productive day. Don't oversleep."
"A loved one is of utmost importance at this time."

I took the first fortune to heart. This morning, I woke up (but continued to rest) about an hour before my alarm was set to go off. And even when my alarm did go off, I gave myself an extra half hour. And I still surprised myself by getting up a half hour earlier than I intended to (the clock in my room has gained a half hour and I haven't reset it because sometimes I can trick myself into getting up early if I can't remember the formula to calculate the correct time).

I have a full day ahead of me. Book keeping work to do. A book project that is in its finals stages and very close to being ready to send to the publishers. And #1 son called me last night, while I was out with #2 son (at the above mentioned Asian restaurant to belatedly celebrate his birthday). And #1 son (who never drops by without a reason) will be dropping by today. (A loved one is of utmost importance at this time .... hmm ...).

(Amusing story about the phone call that I received on my cell while we were having supper. I'm not an experienced cell phone user, but I've figured out enough to take inbound and make outbound calls. I thought I had the skills of 'hanging up and locking the phone, so numbers don't get accidentally pushed' honed as well. Apparently not. A short while after I hung up after my brief conversation with #1 son, my purse was talking. "Hello. Hello .. Hello ..." It took me a moment to find the person who was in my purse. Not only did I not lock my phone ... but the buttons to redial and switch to speaker got pushed ... and I had put the phone into a compartment I rarely use in my purse. So I felt like I made a bit of a spectacle of myself as I scrambled through my purse and then put the phone up to my ear and unknowingly continued the conversation in 'speaker' mode, so everyone within hearing distance of our table heard the ever-so-brief-conversation as I quickly wrapped up the call I hadn't intended on making. The audio of my 'talking purse' brought a smile to my face for the rest of the night).

I'm not sure what this day has in store but I'm off to an early start and anticipating the visit of a loved one.

It could be a fortuitous day.

No comments:

Post a Comment