Friday, September 4, 2009

Influence

The one thing that I have noticed about surrounding myself with people who are interested in furthering their education, is the influence they are having on me.

The school I attend is a self study classroom environment. Each of us work independently and there are facilitators available if you run into any problems.

You walk in and everyone is busy working on their individual studies. It is quiet, conducive to concentration and there is only the 'white noise' of people at work. There isn't a lot of small talk and there are very few distractions.

Which brings me to the lunch room. A place where you can actually get to talk to some of your fellow students.

My first encounter was with a 30 year old mom who has been going to school for 2 years now. She is presently taking a course that would lead to a job with the police department. As we talked, she was so excited about the possibilities out there. It seemed that her enthusiasm was contagious because I walked out of the room wondering about my own possibilities.

Next, I overheard a conversation between 2 young students. They were paying their own way and talking of the necessity to pay for it out of their own pocket, so that they would give it their all. Being accountable and respecting the amount of money that was being spent was key to keeping them on track. As I have found a way to support my decision to go back to school and be solely responsible for the financial aspect, I was in quiet agreement with this sentiment.

Lastly, I talked to someone who is an aspiring 'Medical Administrative Assistant'. She was hoping to put some of her previous workplace skills into place as well as learning something that would give her more opportunities and diversity (and probably money) into her career. She had been laid off of her job as a book keeper and was taking this chance to upgrade her skills.

What amazed me the most when I walked in the door and glanced around at the students in my midst, was the wide array of ages. I honestly thought that I would be the 'senior student'. And though I really haven't had the opportunity to survey the average age of the student body, I certainly don't feel out of place. People of all ages are educating themselves.

I listened to the young students just carving their way into the world ... the young mom who was brimming with excitement ... the older student who was looking for a change in her career ... and I see people aspiring to be 'more' than they were before they decided to take this path.

I listen to the challenging goals that they have and question myself. Have I set my sights too low?

I sat down and had a talk with myself. I reminded myself of the reasons that I chose the course that I did. And all the reasons are still valid and right for me. I'm not out to make 'the big bucks' ... I'm looking for a way to supplement my lifestyle in a fashion that will lead to working out of my home. I'm on the right path for me. Right now.

I listen to these other students and I know that there are a multitude of possibilities. I can take this course and use it as the foot-in-the-door that I want it to be. Where I take it from there depends solely on my own ambition, drive and goals.

When I walked through the doors and started this renewal of my education, I had an end goal in sight.

But what I am fast realizing is that the people around me are influencing my thinking. Instead of this being the end ... I am thinking that it could only be a beginning.

This influence is exactly what I need and want right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment