Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Nightmare!

I woke up realizing 'it was only a dream' ... and I was so relieved.

It was one of those dreams. You are in the middle of it and you can't get out. You can't undo what's been done. You can only move forward. Then it crescendos ... the tension is at an all time high. And you wake up.

The dream?

It was the Dance Showcase Day. I had a house full of company. My hair was in need of a color and I hadn't had time. The Showcase Hour was near and my hair looked like it does every day (my bad hair days have become barely tolerable hair days). I couldn't believe that I hadn't made the time to take care of this one small thing.

Then ... the soup boiled over (it was a dream ... so in it, I was making soup). I was standing beside my brother in law and I started swearing a blue streak (I don't swear). I couldn't stop.

Then I woke up. It was 'only' a dream.

Showcase Day. The day that I lose myself in the ballroom dance world. It's a 'princess-for-a-day' kind of feeling. It's magical.

I do untypical things ... like worry about my hair, nails, make up, jewelry and clothes. By the time the day arrives, I'm so sick of fretting about such petty little things that I'm driving myself crazy.

This year, I really should simply worry about my dance routines. We are 24 days away from Showcase Day and my feet just barely know what they are doing. My arms are confused at times. My technique is simply not there. Spotting? What's that?

I'm a 'big girl now' and I've outgrown the ballgown that just barely fit 10 pounds ago. So I'm scrambling for costumes. I'm forced to go to the mall and shop. I hate shopping. I've made three trips thus far (four, if you count the time I raced through our neighborhood mall when I went to buy groceries). Two of those trips involved a blouse which I bought and then returned.

Apparently, I will be wearing a pair of my own dressy pants (that are a size too small for me). I have visions of the seams not taking the pressure and having a 'costume malfunction' of epic proportions. EEEEK! The owner of the studio described a top that would go with these too-small-pants. A top that is just a little bit daring (completely open down the front, but the 'folds' keep you covered).

I've been scouring the Sears catalogue just hoping that something will jump out at me. But it's not happening. I need a fairy godmother to waft down from the skies above, sprinkle her pixie dust and transform me (except I need three costumes in total please). It is a fairytale kind of day, after all.

See why I'm having nightmares??

No comments:

Post a Comment