Saturday, December 12, 2009

Adventure Aborted

We like to call them adventures. Our little day-trips, where we gather a friend or two and meet up with another friend in a different city (or town). To most people, it would be the equivalent of a 'Sunday drive'. But to us ... they are adventures.

Our first adventure was a 'call out' (by me), at a time when I was going through the lowest of low times. Four of us met up in a neutral city where everyone was a 'tourist' and we simply savored the day. The drive ... the company ... we walked ... we ate ... we talked. The day was idyllic.

So we planned another great adventure. This time, we decided to stay at a bed and breakfast in the fair city of a friend that lives a few hours away. We didn't want our group to descend upon our friend's home and create any work for her. So the four of us met up in a bed and breakfast. We visited ... we bonded ... we cared ... we shared. A most wonderful time was had by all.

Another year passed (none of these adventures took place in the same calendar year) and my friend thought that we should mastermind yet another adventure. It was a time of celebration and rejuvenation - as one of us celebrated a birthday, another (who spends her life taking care of others) really needed to take care of herself and the other just needed to step away from 'life' as she knew it. This time, My Youngest came along and my friend conscripted her nephew to join us (and the boys had just as much fun as we did). Once again, our conversations lifted each of our spirits. We feed off the energy of each other in this most special group of friends.

Our annual adventures are tonic for our bodies, minds and spirits. We wistfully dubbed ourselves 'The Optimist Group' when we first started gathering (about?) 13 or 14 years ago. We seem to live up to our name as each of us has gone through a life changing event or two (or more) during our reign as 'Optimists'. I can vividly remember how awestruck that I was, to be a part of this circle of friends. People that I looked up to, admired and had quietly adopted as role models. People that I aspired to emulate.

I look back on the years and the difference that this most special group of friends made in my life. They have supported and encouraged me every step of the way.

I look back on the life-changing times that I have lived the past 12 years. I remember entrusting these friends (and only these friends, at first) with my dream of finding a way to stay at home and raise my last child. They believed in me. I took that belief and I ran with it. And I've been running ever since.

I remember the time when I was lost and alone and I reached out to this group (the result was our first 'adventure'). They walked with me through the abyss and I just kept on walking ...

These friends fuel and inspire me.

We were supposed to go on another adventure today. But the frigid temperatures have aborted our plans. Plans that must now wait for the next calendar year (as has been our tradition). But have no fear, we are still braving the cold to drive across the city and meet for supper and an evening of visiting. We can make an adventure of whatever it is we choose to do.

I was really anticipating this day. Because this is the day that we were going to stop in and visit with my sister (and my other sister wanted to be a part of this gathering but she is vacationing as I write) as we embarked on our newest adventure.

My sisters. Now there is a whole new story and a whole new blog. But long story short ... they were my inspiration and encourager's before this most special group of friends adopted me as one of their own.

Every ten years, it seemed that I had some life altering event happening in my life. My sisters would ride out on their white steeds and 'rescue' me (from my thoughts anyway).

It has been 12 years since my sister's last 'rescue'. I got through the last crisis in my life (a few years ago - the 10 year cycle of heart-wrenching-transitions hasn't changed for me yet) ... not alone ... but with the support and encouragement of my most special group of friends at my side.

The thought of uniting these two incredible forces - my sisters and my optimistic friends - takes my words away.

Our adventure must take a back seat today. But have no fear ... we will be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment