Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Holidays

I have been relaxing like I have never relaxed before ...

Usually my holidays were busy doing all of the things that I couldn't do when I had a house full of kids. My daycare world allowed me a lot of leeway in the puttering-around-the-house-and-yard department ... but I was tethered to home like a dog on a short leash. When holiday time came around, I was busy running around and enjoying my freedom.

I'm a planner. So if I had 10 days of holidays, somehow I would manage to book up 9 of those days. Fun stuff. Visiting ... lots and lots of visiting. Time to go to a movie with My Youngest and shop where he may want to shop. Lots of take out meals and few (if any) home cooked meals.

My holidays have always been exactly what I wanted and needed. My definition of a holiday is doing whatever it may be, that you can't do during your regularly scheduled life.

I guess my life has changed. A lot. Because this is the quietest holiday that I can remember having in a very, very long time. It has also been the least expensive.

As my December budget still has a few more days to go and January's doesn't look much brighter, my spending has been sparse. But I haven't felt as though I've sacrificed anything.

I don't feel like spending. I am full from within. I am not actively seeking company (but I can still hold up my end of a conversation ... I still love to talk!). I am enjoying my own company.

Everything I need and want are within my walls (except I do need to replenish the grocery supply soon). It is a very fulfilling sensation.

I have been slowly adding activities back into my holiday-life. One day I washed a load of clothes. Another day I turned on the dishwasher. The third day, I emptied the dishwasher.

Yesterday, I packed 'Christmas' away until next year. Today, I plan to tackle my book keeping for a portion of the day (I am not going into hyper drive mode ... I am not!).

I have a feeling that once these holidays are over, I'll be running. There will be the upcoming dance competition to prepare for ... I will be placing expectations on myself at school ... I will be cramming in as much book keeping as I possibly can, because I will be taking several days off in February. The next few months are going to be hectic.

So for now ... I shall relax and savor every moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment