Saturday, January 16, 2010

Calm Within

As I sit here with my third cup of coffee and my head is only going in a few directions (should I exercise ... or start to work?), I feel serene.

I believe that I have crossed most of the to-do items off of my eternal, internal list-in-my-mind. It feels marvelous.

What has surfaced after a week of running?

Gratitude. Always gratitude.

Our home is an oasis in a storm. Everything I live and breathe when I am within the confines of home strengthens my body and soul.

Second Son moved back home (at my suggestion, which I hope is financially beneficial to both of us) about a month ago. From the moment I put the offer on the table, to the present-day ... I have not one regret.

He moved back home with a large, furry dependent. 'Sadie' is a German shepherd/border collie cross. She is a horse (that thinks she's a chihuahua), she is a pup, she sheds ... but she is quiet.

She has been diligently working at playing/chewing all of the toys that were 'wintering' outside in the sandbox. My thoughts? "I should have taken them inside ... whoops." Second Son's actions? He saved the save-able toys, threw the rest in the garbage and bought/found her some dog appropriate chew toys.

Her hair is permeating throughout the house even though her primary residence is outside and in her room downstairs. The hair gets on our socks and finds its way upstairs. My thoughts? "I should vacuum downstairs more often anyway."

None of these thoughts or actions have any quiet undertones of frustration. None. I knew what I was getting into when I made this offer. I feel complete and utter acceptance of the situation at hand.

It is my hope that both my son and I are mutually benefiting from this arrangement.

He is going on a holiday soon ... and I will be on hand to tend to Sadie. I will be going to a dance competition after his return and he will be on hand to tend to the 'life' I've leaving behind. No one has to adjust living arrangements to accommodate the other. It's easy. At least it is for me.

One of the benefits of having an adult child return home after being independent for so long, is that they appreciate things so much more. There is little to no complaining about the inadequacies of the situation.

Our weekday meals are nothing to write home about it. I call it survival-cooking. There is food ... but supper is not 'meat and potatoes'. It fills a void. Not much more.

Space and privacy are issues that I worry about. After living on his own for so long, I know that my son is sacrificing a lot to save a little money and help me out at the same time.

I keep checking with Second Son to see if he is okay with things as they are. I suggest ways to try and accommodate his needs better. He continually assures me that he is fine with things as they are.

I am so content and at peace with the situation that I am concerned that it may be a one-sided street. Is it actually possible for two adult family members to live under the same roof ... and be mutually content? Maybe.

If I think about the flip side of that coin, I know for a fact that if I was bitter about the dog, the hair, the chewed toys, etc, etc ... it would be coming out in my tone of voice and body language. If I was frustrated, my son would know it. And I believe the opposite is true. The more I think about it, the more I accept the fact. I think that this is working for us.

I wake up in the mornings and I am content. Without a word of a lie ... I am completely at peace. Life-as-I-know-it is good. It was good before Second Son moved back ... it is still good.

What could possibly be better than that??

No comments:

Post a Comment