Sunday, February 7, 2010

Fleeting Moments ... Can They Last Forever?

My mind is consumed with preparations for The Big Trip now. There are little pockets of space to think about other things, but the vast majority of my brain would flash *packing* *primping* *preparing* and *dancing* in bright neon lights if someone was to X-ray it at this very moment.

It's too close now. It's down to the wire. I'm going to blink ... and it's going to be over. How can I make this feeling last forever??

I shall write. I've already packed my pad of paper and pen. I don't know how many idle moments that there will be while I'm away ... but I do know that I can't sleep when I get excited. So I will write.

I will take pictures. I have gotten very lax in the picture-taking department, after a year where I was the most annoying family member on earth (as I was determined to document and make 'movies' out of every moment). I must take pictures. Something tangible to hold onto after I come back down to earth.

I will partake in every moment. The wallflower part of my personality will stay home. This vibrant red/orange haired girl shall walk a different walk. And live every moment!

I remember the adjustment that it was, to accept the fact that participating in this dance competition was really going to happen ... to me! I was uncomfortable with taking those first steps out of my highly regimented world. The idea of spending all of that money. Saying the words out loud and being excited about saying them took time. Once I finally accepted the fact that I was really partaking in this Grand Adventure ... I haven't looked back. Only ahead!

At some point during this adventure, I wrote down some words Rosie spoke when she was on Oprah. She realized that she was defining herself by her past. Whenever she talked about herself, she spoke of the person she used to be. It took someone actually bringing it to her attention, to realize that it was true.

I thought of myself. I define myself by who I am, to the people in my life ... but in the grand scheme of things, I look back and define myself by the experiences that I have overcome in my life. I define myself by my past.

Ever since I've embraced the idea of participating in this dance competition, I haven't done that so much. When I talk to people, I am talking about where I am going ... not where I've been.

The best way to keep these moments in time vivid, long after this dance competition has come and gone, is to continue to think this way. Where is my life headed? I've learned many lessons throughout this life of mine. It's time to embrace them, let them go and move forward.

Big events come and go throughout life. I can't stop the world and make this last forever ... but I can look ahead to the next Big Adventure I decide to partake in. Big or small. I will embrace the moment.

This dance event will be a highlight of my life that I will hold onto forever. But it won't define me. It's just a step in a direction I want to take. I will continue walking to see what lies around the next corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment