Tuesday, February 16, 2010

It's Hitting Home

(Originally dated Feb 9th ... scheduled to be posted after my return)

My Youngest has been pretty blase about my upcoming trip. Most things will be the same for him. He gets to stay home with his Older Brother.

He has a few school days to put in before the February Break. I'll make his lunch the morning I leave and there are a few 'lunchables' for him for the rest of the week.

He is going to a birthday party while I'm away. A party that he would have missed, if he had been going on a holiday with me.

He gets to stay home ... he loves being home. His domain downstairs contains everything his heart desires. He doesn't like being away from home long. In fact, when I asked if he would like to go on a holiday since everyone else in the family was going on one, his quick reply was, "No. I just like to stay home." And he means it.

This past weekend, he was busy. He babysat while I was at school, he went over to a friends while I ran errands and he went swimming. In between his active social life, I begged for him to come along with me when I ran to pick up some supper on Saturday. "Please" I begged, "just for the visit." He sighed a long sigh and said, "I just want to stay home."

I had hoped to spend some time with him this weekend, since I would be going away this week. But he had other plans. I'm glad he had other plans. He is supposed to have other plans.

But sometimes ... I miss him.

Last night, it finally hit him. I'm going away. All of a sudden, my little boy was back. He needed some time with me before I left.

Tonight, we have a date. It will most likely be 'supper and a movie' at home. But what we both need right now, is just to breathe the same air, sit in the same room together and just spend some time together.

He doesn't need me as much as he used to. But I'm glad that he does still want to spend some time with me. I'll miss him too.

(I've written this the morning before I leave, but have decided not to post it until after I come home. I doubt there are any 'lurkers' out there ... but it's better safe than sorry. By the time this post is read by anyone, I will be back home. Protecting my young and breathing the same air as My Youngest).

No comments:

Post a Comment