Thursday, February 18, 2010

You Can't Always Get What You Want ...

While I was at My Great Dance Adventure, I bought a ballgown. A gown that has no room for 'growth' (I can't gain any weight). It seems as if my world is trying to move me in a direction so that I will not have any problem fitting into that gown ...

I have often commented on my wallflower persona - how I blend in with scenery and the many times in the past where I was overlooked. That hasn't happened a lot lately. Then with this shocking new hair of mine, I thought those days were over. Not.

I fully intended on ordering dessert after supper the last night of Our Dance Adventure. The waitress skipped over me. No dessert.

The next day, I was salivating at the mere thought of the mini bag of chips that I was going to buy on the plane as we headed home. I didn't catch the flight attendant's eye when she was taking requests for food orders. No chips for me.

I thought ... ahhh! It is a force greater than myself, that is helping me maintain the weight that I need to maintain, to fit into that ballgown.

Then there is the chicken that I have been craving lately. We went out for deli sandwiches the last day of our adventure. I like my meat in very small, lean portions. I was a little less than thrilled about this choice of restaurant. But when I spotted chicken as one of the sandwich choices, I was relieved. What should be one of the first things I heard upon sitting at our table? "We are out of chicken." But they had turkey. I thought that would do ... until I heard the words turkey roll. Not too appetizing. Someone ordered a large chicken meal and I said that I could share it. One cut into the dark, juicy, fatty meat (which was attached to a bone ... I like my chicken white, skinless, boneless, without fat and a little on the dry side) and I was done. No chicken for me.

I went out for supper the night after I returned home, still craving chicken. I spotted chicken souvlaki on the menu and my mouth started watering once again. But what did my mouth say when I ordered it? Souvlaki. I forgot to say chicken. So I got pork. I thought I could eat the pork - I've done it before. But it smelled funny. I couldn't do it.

So I suggested that I cook chicken and rice last night for supper. My appetite was ready for that chicken! Mmmm ... I could smell it cooking. This would be good. I went to retrieve some chicken out of the freezer, and there wasn't any. Sigh. I cooked spaghetti and meat balls instead. I prefer meat sauce but I thought I could digest a meat ball. Until I cooked them. They didn't smell like chicken and I lost my appetite. Again.

As few of my food cravings were being satisfied, I thought of my ballgown. I thought of the necessity to stay at a weight where I will fit into it. And this song ran through my mind:



I can't always get what I want ... but I get what I need.

P.S. Eventually, I satisfied both of the Pringles and Chicken cravings and ... I still fit into my new ballgown.

No comments:

Post a Comment