Friday, April 30, 2010

Could I Be a Farmer?

It's raining this morning. A nice, steady, soaking in kind of rain. We need it.

As I looked out the window and saw this dreary morning, my first thought was "The farmers will be happy."

I could never be a farmer. To have your income dictated by the whims of the weather. Rain - either too much, too little or at the wrong time. Hail, early frost, late springs, grasshoppers ... the list goes on.

Then there is all of the rest. The price that you are paid for your crop ... whether it is a grain crop or livestock. I thought that I learned in my mutual fund course, that diversity is the key to lowering your overall risk. I look at our farmers today and I don't see that.

I couldn't live like that. This is not a new thought for me.

I like stability. I like to know what my pay cheque is going to be and when I am going to get it. I like the perks of a steady income. Paid holidays and sick days. Health benefits and a pension plan. A guaranteed lunch hour and coffee breaks.

I can't believe that almost 12 years ago, I traded that stability for a career in babysitting. A job where nothing is guaranteed. The phone rings and your day &/or budget is changed in that instant.

People called and cancelled &/or needed me at the last moment. Kids might come early; they might stay late; or they might not come at all. Parents got jobs; lost jobs; took time off from jobs with little or no notice.

Health benefits ... what are those? I would have settled for the ability to run to a doctor, dentist, or eye appointment at some time other than evenings, weekends or holidays. Let alone have my company chip in and pay for a portion of the cost.

Pension? RRSP's? Financial security? None.

I may as well have been a farmer!

I couldn't believe that I traded a life of security for a life where ... I was a mom. It was the best decision I made in my life.

I was present in every way. For my baby, who has grown into an almost 12 year old. For my up and coming teen, who is now a full grown adult. And eventually, for my oldest ... who has come 'home' to me after a long, hard road. I am a mom.

The long term benefits to that job title? Long term satisfaction. Retirement goals? To be an active member of my family. Health benefits? In an emergency, I am told "Don't worry about a thing ..." And I don't.

Throughout 11 years of my unpredictable daycare world, I had a back up plan. I kept my foot in the door of the employer who allowed me to continue to work one day a week. I always had the option of applying for a full time position if the need came up.

Six months ago, I walked away from that safety net. I am in school. I am working (very) part time as a bookkeeper. I am working (even more) part time as a before and after school daycare provider. I have jumped back into the 'dance world' with the enthusiasm I had for it a decade ago (spending money that I probably shouldn't be spending). And I'm not scared.

I'm working without a net, but I feel safe.

Maybe I am a farmer's daughter after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment