Thursday, May 27, 2010

One Hurdle Down ...

I leaped into the long weekend teeming with energy. I was excited and full of energy as I anticipated three days at my disposal.

I believe my energy was zapped the moment that I realized that my school was open on Friday. Due to a completely avoidable misunderstanding, I thought the school was closed that day and I had logged my school hours accordingly. I ended up being short one hour and forty minutes of attaining my required hours. My perfect attendance record is shot for this month. Energy drain.

The second bump in the road was bookkeeping. I need and want the work. When no extra work walked in the door Friday morning, I was somewhat ecstatic. She gave me a job to do, involving what I had on hand. But it was new and different so I was eager to tackle it. Then ... Saturday morning, she dropped off a bucket of work. Ten hours worth of tedious work. It zapped my enthusiasm.

Walking down memory lane last weekend was rather exhausting. My thoughts were directed to a different time in my life. I looked back and reflected on the months when I was asea. I spent too much time looking back.

I did manage to putter with my family history project. I climbed a hill ... but I have several mountains yet to scale. Not a great feeling of achievement. But at least it's a step in the right direction.

I found the ambition to look at the video of my revised Samba routine. I spent a little bit of time on my dancing. But not enough.

I squeezed all of my bookkeeping work into the last day of the long weekend. I logged ten and a half hours in one day, when I could have just as easily worked four hours for three days and accomplished much more. I crammed six more hours of work into yesterday, when I could have divided that by two and retained a little serenity within. The work that arrived Saturday morning ... is finally done.

One task complete. It took four days to finish one job.

I plan to take an exam at school today. I want to finish another bookkeeping task. I need to get into the habit of working slowly but steadily at my family history project. I must get into the habit of practising my dancing. I have closets to clean (and everything else in the house).

One hurdle down ... so many more to go. But maybe if I simply break these onerous jobs into manageable segments, I will get those mountains moved before the new fall TV season arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment