Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Sunday Suppers Any Other Day ... Taste Just as Sweet

Our Sunday family supper got bumped to Monday this week. And it was good.

Mother's Day weekend and the week which followed completely through me off of my cooking groove (as if I had one in the first place - ha!).

My Second Son took me out for a Mother's Day supper on the Saturday preceding Mother's Day ... just in case he couldn't make it on the actual 'day'.

My Oldest Son took me out on Sunday - Mother's Day. My Youngest didn't want to come (though he did have the last half of his submarine sandwich from the night before, so he didn't starve) ... so it was another quiet one-on-one visit (which I enjoy very much).

No one was around Monday night. Supper was whatever I could manage to forage for my Youngest and myself.

Tuesday ... we went out for a buffet supper. Very tasty indeed. My mouth had started watering for this food after I'd come across a month-old receipt from the restaurant as I was sorting through my credit card receipts.

Wednesday, my sister came to the city and we 'did lunch'. Yet another out of the ordinary event in the middle of the week. I hate to say what we did for supper that night. But it didn't involve cooking ... this I know for sure.

Thursday and Friday, I managed to unwrap the cellophane on some frozen food entrees. I still didn't cook (but at least there was no gas mileage cost factor in these meals).

Saturday? Who wants to cook on a hot Saturday afternoon after working in the yard all afternoon? Heavens! I don't enjoy cooking on a cool, rainy day ... a cold winter's day ... a beautiful autumn day. Why should 'Saturday' be any different??

Which brings me to Sunday.

My Oldest was off on a weekend adventure with friends and I knew he wouldn't be home for supper. I had a BBQ menu in mind for the rest of us for Sunday. But when My Youngest and I took off to run an errand (without announcing our intent), My Middle Son guessed that we had gone out for supper without him ... so went out in search of some nourishment while we were gone. So much for good intentions (secretly I was a little relieved because I had managed to eat the better part of a bag of chips that afternoon and wasn't very hungry ... though I did manage to eke out a rather hearty and healthy meal for My Youngest).

The take-out-quotient in our lives is high. Too high.

So, when My Oldest announced that he would be able to come for Sunday Supper on Monday (that would be yesterday), a meal was born.

A plain and ordinary meal. Barbecued hamburgers, hot dogs and potatoes. It doesn't get much easier than that. I got extra fancy and sauteed some onions, served lettuce and cheese to go with the BBQ'd meat ... and you would have thought that I'd put out a gourmet meal.

I guess the secret is to keep the home cooking to a minimum. That way they are happy with absolutely anything!

But in reality, it was a meal seasoned with 'family'. I believe that's why it tasted so good. Sunday? Monday? Or any day of the week. Add a dash of something out of the ordinary to an ordinary meal, and you've got the recipe for success.

No comments:

Post a Comment