Sunday, May 2, 2010

Weight Bearing Exercise

As I flipped, tossed & turned and eventually turned off my alarm this morning, my first conscious thoughts were "It doesn't hurt!"

I rolled over and my neck didn't seize. I flip flopped from one side to the other and my tender shoulder held its own. It was a painless night. I am blessed.

Each time I appreciated this flexibility, I wondered "What made the difference?"

  • Are my stretching exercises starting to kick in?
  • Is it the special sore-neck pillow that my sister gave to me? (Thanks, sis!)
  • Was it because I kept moving yesterday?
  • Is it because my varied tasks kept my body flexible instead of working at a repetitive task?
  • Did tying up many loose ends in my bookkeeping jobs take the weight off of my shoulders?
  • Or was it all of the above?
I tend to think that it was a little bit of everything. But the one thing that I attribute to my ability to relax and enjoy a painless sleep last night, was tending to the weighty issues of the work that I have been putting off.
I have not moved mountains the past few days, but I've moved enough hills to feel pretty good. Paper shuffling, sorting, posting and all of that good stuff isn't exactly a cardio work out. But it feels good to have control over my workload.
My shoulders aren't bearing any excess weight. That feels good in both a mental and a physical sense.
The key is to keep the weight bearing exercises at a tolerable level. It's good to know you have the stamina to endure. But carrying those weights around without dealing with them is not the route to take.
My advice:
  • Dump the weights that you can.
  • Deal with the excess weights so that you aren't carrying them around needlessly.
  • Work with what is left.
A few weight bearing exercises are good for the body and soul. Carrying around dead weight ... is hard on the neck.

No comments:

Post a Comment