Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Price Tag of Contentment

I have been through many stages of financial strife, contentment and goals in my lifetime. I have finally arrived at the financial status of my dreams. I am not ruled by debt. I have enough money that allows me to make choices. I am comfortable.

I look at my three children. Their ages span the course of 20 years and though they are all at varied degrees of their financial lives right now, there seems to be a continuity that has run through their childhood that has carried onto their adult years (for my oldest two).

Then there is My Youngest.

It was his birthday yesterday. His Older Brother asked me if I knew what he wanted. My immediate response was, "He's like Grandma. If he wants something, he just buys it himself."

This is a 12 year old boy. He earns his allowance because of all of the assistance he gives me in walking my daycare family to and from school. He has been doing this for about five years. He has a side job of babysitting a 6 year old boy from time to time.

My youngest accumulates money without even trying. His allowances amass quite accidentally. His extra babysitting income sits idle in his bank account. He knows that he can ask for something without giving it a second thought. Because he has money in the bank. But chances are, he won't even need to touch that money because I owe him so many weeks of allowance.

There is something very serene about My Youngest . He is content with what he has. There is an acceptance within himself about who he is. I don't feel him trying to impress anyone to try to fit in. Nor do I don't hear or sense any of the effects of peer pressure that one may expect at this age. He just 'fits' into his life and the life of those he touches.

I listen to the words and tone that he uses with his friends and the children I babysit. I marvel at the respect he shows them, even when he is telling them to tow the line. The younger kids respect him and he has a nice little circle of friends.

He is enjoys having friends over and he enjoys his solitude just as much. He is a child that has never badgered me with "I'm bored", "Can we do something?" or "Can you entertain me?". After a stretch of being 'too busy', he loves being home ... alone ... in his 'space'.

He is 12 years old and he has already reached the point of financial security that I have spent the better part of 50 years attaining. He is not ruled by 'wants'. He has enough money to make choices. He is comfortable.

He has everything that money can't buy. He is content. There is no amount of money in the world that can buy that. He is rich. I hope that this wealth carries him through his teens and launches him into the adult world with ease.

No comments:

Post a Comment