Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Sometimes "No" is the Best Answer

My week started with the possibility of being turned down for a Student Loan to finance the last leg of my 'education venture'. When I was told that I may not have enough classes to qualify as a part-time student, my immediate answer was "Sometimes being turned down for a loan is the best answer."

And it was.

Before I heard the final answer to my student loan request, I started checking out other options. Did I need to take this course at this time? Could I take it on my own? Could I pay for it on my own? What are my immediate options as far as starting to work with the education I have?

It turns out that it was a very good thing that I had time to pause. Time to look for my best answers.

I can take the exact same course that I would have taken through the school. From home, on-line and for a savings of almost $1,500. Thank goodness I checked!

I talked to my bookkeeping employer to ask about my future with them. Yes, full time work (and more, if I want it) is available. Immediately. And I think they are grateful that I can start now - not later.

I can still take the Payroll course that I had planned on taking. But I can take it from home and work around it. Later.

I did my research and discovered that I didn't want the student loan funding, before I was told that I didn't qualify for it. Talk about feeling empowered! And ... I will have less money to repay. It's all good.

Oh? And the bonus?? I have one exam to write (hopefully by the end of this week) and one final course to take. And I'm done.

Originally, I thought that I'd be finished school in November or December if I had stretched out my courses for the time they had allotted. But I worked at my own pace. And I will be finished, diploma in hand, full-time job waiting for me (it was there all along) approximately six months ahead of schedule.

It was one year ago tomorrow, that I wrote this blog post: "2 Hours Into the Day". One year. Mission accomplished!

And to think ... if my student loan had gone through, I would have went merrily on my way. I would have paid an extra $1,500 to take a course that I can take from home. I would have owed an extra amount to student loans. I would not have completed my schooling until October (?). I would not be earning a full-time wage as of next month.

"No" was the best answer for me. Being forced to look at other options is sometimes the best thing that can happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment