Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Different ... But Still the Same

We've taken a brief hiatus from "life as we know it" and ventured out on a mini holiday before the onset of school and fall weather ...

My Youngest (12 years old) asked if he could invite a friend. If I was in his shoes, I'd want to invite a friend. He's had a very solitary summer holiday. He needs some companionship. So without too much thought, I agreed.

All was arranged easily and the next thing I knew, we were off.

We are now at the tail end of our 2-day-holiday-adventure. We have travelled roads we've travelled many times before. We have stayed at hotels that we've stayed at several times prior. We've seen the sights and did things that we have seen and done many times. It's the same ... but different.

I've travelled these roads with My Youngest through varying ages of his development. Starting at age "1" and at least four times between then and now.

I can't help but compare the past to the present ...

No longer are our days dictated by naps, regularly scheduled meal times and bed time rituals. At age 12, the kids stay up longer than I do and sleep in, in the mornings.

In the early childhood years, I pussy footed around in the mornings in the hope of having a quiet hour (or two) before I had to wear my 'Mom hat' for the day. This holiday? I banged and clanged around, ran water, turned on lights. And nothing. My young boys slept in spite of it all.

The days of packing 'healthy food' are gone (but not forgotten). We packed junk food and pop. We scavenged the cities we were in, to find the best take-out-food options. It was easier in the 'old days', in some ways. I knew the basic food groups were being consumed. Now? I hope My Youngest has an appetite. My Son's young travel companion is the polar opposite when it comes to food. Lots of it, any time, any place. But nutritional value? Not so much.

Independence. At age 12, 'my boys' could stay on their own. But being responsible for someone else's child keeps me close at hand at all times. I just about 'lost' my Son's Friend when he wandered into the hotel corridor ("looking for My Son") the first night. I heard a door open and shut (and assumed it was the bathroom) in the middle of the night. Something made me check it out and ensure 'my boys' were where they were supposed to be. Sure enough - one was missing. I reacted quickly enough, that he didn't catch the elevator he was waiting for. How do you make that phone call to a parent? "Sorry ... I lost your child". Thankfully, I haven't had to experience that.

Swimming no longer (nor has it, for a while) involves me getting into a bathing suit. I still sit at the pool-side and check for 'my boys' on a regular basis. But all in all, the swimming is a pretty easy way for them to burn off their energy and kill a few (or more) hours. Water and kids are a good combination (as long as they play safe and follow the rules).

I kept asking My Youngest "... do you remember when...", as we retraced our steps from a time when he was half of his current age (or younger).

We stayed in the bunk bed suite of a hotel only once before and we returned to stay in that same room this holiday. I asked him if he remembered. His memory made me smile:

"I remember that you forgot to pack a book to read to me before I went to bed ... and you made up a story ... and now that I'm older, I realize the nights when I can't fall asleep, are the nights when I don't hear your voice before I go to bed ..."

That bed-time-story-ritual has passed by the wayside. But his need to 'connect' with me before he falls into a restful slumber remains.

Yes, many things change and evolve over the years. But it's comforting to realize that some things never change ...

No comments:

Post a Comment