Monday, August 16, 2010

The Good Life

I live a charmed life. Yesterday was a perfect example of my definition of a perfect day.

First and foremost, it was Sunday. My favorite day of the week. Despite the fact that I have ruined my own Sundays lately, by working ... Sunday is still the day of the week that stands out as special to me.

Originally, the whole day was mapped out. A balloon ride with My Oldest was on the morning's agenda - bright and early. That would have most likely taken up the majority of the morning. I thought My Oldest and I would have most likely gone out for a leisurely breakfast afterwards and enjoyed some easy conversation. That was the plan.

When our balloon trip was cancelled, my initial thought was that I could probably squeeze in five hours of work. But since I had budgeted my time for a leisurely Sunday morning without thinking about work, that is the morning that I had.

I had the most laid back and enjoyable morning. My body and mind were rested and I was in a serene state of existence. I savored every moment.

Mom and my sister arrived mid afternoon for a visit. It was fun and easy (made even easier by the fact that my sister made supper and brought it along with her). Our Sunday Supper Experience was enhanced by the addition of a few more family members. My own little family plus more. Perfection!

We wound up the day by heading out to see My Middle Son's farm. Some family friends met up and joined us at the farm. My little family's friends. We have family friends! Friends where each and every one of us feels a kinship with each and every one of their family members.

This is the life that I have always dreamed about. A life full of simple pleasures.

I am complete, happy and relaxed in my own skin. I am content with the person that I am. That is the foundation on which to build a life.

My own little family unit is a cohesive one. We may not be 'The Walton's' but we are family. We come together for our weekly suppers. My relationship with each of my sons is in a healthy spot. We are far from perfect, but we are striving to become better. There is a sense of peace in our home.

My extended family is a heartbeat away. On special days such as yesterday, we are blessed with their physical presence. But on any other day, there is a closeness that makes the physical distance between us feel invisible. My family is the root of who I am. I'm beyond grateful for my roots ... my family ... and the easy companionship of each family member.

Friends. The friends that joined us yesterday are symbolic of the friends that each of us are making beyond the walls of home and family.

I have a family that are my friends ... and friends that feel like family. Does life get any better than this? I keep thinking that I'm living the good life. Then life surprises me once again ... and just keeps getting better!

No comments:

Post a Comment