Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Year of Choices

As My Young, Grade 7'er headed off to school this morning, I tagged along as an extra set of arms to assist with the excessive amounts of school supplies that he (and the Younger Grade 2'er that we are tending) toted off to school.

As we strolled down the street, I told My Son "This is the year you can choose to become involved in whatever interests you ..."

Throughout My Son's school days, our lives have been ruled by my daycare.

First, were the days when he was too young to be involved in any extra curricular activities. Our challenge in those days, was rounding up all that came to our home after school. It was a flurry of frenzied activity and responsibility. Counting heads, getting home quickly and basically ensuring that everyone made it home safe and sound.

Then, came the days when My Son was old enough to be in charge of walking my younger charges to and from school. I couldn't have done it without him. He was my biggest helper and I needed him.

As he grew into the older grades, he wanted to be a school safety patrol. He would have needed to be available before and after school. His responsibilities overruled his desires. He never complained. He just did what he had to do.

I don't know if he ever wanted to join any other before and after school activities. He never asked. It is my fear that he didn't ask or even tell me what his desires were, because he knew the answer.

As my Young Son was bemoaning the fact that he was not ready to go back to school this year, I gently tried to nudge his thinking in a new direction. "Keep your mind and ears open to all of the activities that interest you." "The people who have the happiest memories of school are the ones who became involved in school activities." "You can do anything this year. We will take care of our 'One Before/After School Charge' together. I can be available whenever you aren't." "This ... is the year of being able to do what you want to do!"

My Youngest found his name on the list of fellow classmates outside of the Grade 6/7 classroom door. I felt a great relief when I immediately spotted his friends names and saw many familiar faces. My Son saw that much sooner than I did. By the time I turned my head to tell him what he already knew, he was smiling. It's going to be a very good year. It could be the best year of his life so far.

Because this ... is the year of choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment