Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Zumba!

I'm hooked. Two lessons in, four to go and much, much more in my future.

I searched the leisure guide this fall to try and find a way to get myself active. Ambition levels were at an all time low, I was exhausted and my life needed a jump start.

I used to have the motivation to get up early to work in exercise of some form. Whether it was walking the dog, delivering papers or working out to a DVD or with Wii Fit. I had the ability to get up, go and just do it.

Try as I might, all I have wanted to do with my mornings is sleep. The mere thought of getting up to get active was exhausting. So I slept some more.

My first Zumba class was last Monday. Fun! Fun! Fun!

The music was incredible. Our instructor is fun, energetic and you can see her transform in front of your eyes as the music gets into her body and soul. I like to think I'm looking in a mirror when I mimic her moves. I know I'm not ... but I'm relaxed in this class and I have the ability to loosen up and just have fun.

What I found most exciting was the wide range of ages in our group. I would guess that the ages range from 20 - 60 or more. The after-class chatter is incredible. It doesn't matter who I talk to ... everyone loves it. Age doesn't matter. We aren't making a fashion statement. No rules. Just do what you can and keep moving is the theme of that hour.

No dance partners are required. Clothing is cool, comfortable and whatever works. And the best part? The shoes!! Runners!

When my feet are happy, I'm elated. There is nothing like a comfortable pair of shoes to enhance the fun factor for me.

Yes ... ballroom dancing is fun. But the shoes? Dance shoes are my nemesis. Move over ballroom! Until I find dance shoes that feel as good as my runners, Zumba is giving you a run for your money.

"If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes." 
~The Houghton Line, November 1965



My favorite music to 'Zumba' to ... so far

No comments:

Post a Comment