Monday, October 25, 2010

Cats and Me ...

I'm very akin to a cat.

Pursue me and I will probably run. Just be yourself and allow me to make my own choices and I will probably come to you.

I don't like to obey for the sake of obedience. Chances are, that I will choose to follow the rules. But demand me to 'sit', 'stay' and 'speak' and I will turn the other cheek and walk away.

I take great enjoyment from basking in a sunbeam and nodding off to sleep. Catnaps and me? We go together like cats and catnip.

I show my affections in many ways, but running up shamelessly like a dog and letting my inhibitions run wild is not my way. I prefer to quietly and consistently show my love in more understated ways.

I can be left along for long periods of time. I fend for myself well. I don't require adulation, regular walks and the outpouring of love the way a dog does. I enjoy the company of others and I'm grateful when my family is around me and people choose my company. But I am a self sufficient soul and I am quite content with quiet days.

I am loyal to those who are close to me. I'm not fierce, nor do I growl or bark (but under duress, I have been known to roar). My loyalty is subtle, but it is true.

I look at a sleeping cat and I feel peace. I feel the vibration of their purr and I feel calmness reverberated within. I look into the eyes of our cat and I see my quiet love reflected in his eyes.

My brother's family suffered a great loss this past weekend. Their much adored cat and faithful friend passed on.

I gazed out of our living room window and watched the raindrops fall. Yesterday afternoon, our sky wept with them.

"Bear, you will be missed ... and always remembered."

1 comment: