Friday, January 7, 2011

Finally Taking My Own Advice

It seems I am constantly talking about going with the flow of life. Not going against the current. The best results (for me) come from following what feels natural and right.

Then there is my hair.

I fight with it each and every time I wash it. It has natural waves and kinks which are beyond annoying. It's not curly - it is inconsistently kinky and frizzy. After letting my hair dry naturally one day, my Second Son commented "... it does have a 'wild scientist' look about it."

I blow it dry and straighten it. I try and tame it into submission and make it become something it's not. Sleek and smooth. It's been like wading against the current, but I have continued to fight what comes naturally to my hair. And why does this matter right now?

'Zumba' season is before me. What does this have to do with my hair you ask? You must have never been to a Zumba class if you are wondering.

When you 'Zumba', you sweat. Profusely. Running down the face kind of sweating. It isn't pretty kind of sweating.

My forcefully tamed down hair is a mess at Zumba. The natural kinks and waves do their thing and I feel like a frizzed out, wet dish rag. With uncontrollable kinks and waves.

I made a hair appointment yesterday. This hair dresser took on my hair several months ago and my hair is not driving me crazy. I have not had trouble with this cut, not even from the onset. She has won my trust.

I set my challenge out before her yesterday. I explained that I am taking Zumba and I was hoping for a style that worked with my hair's natural tendency to wave. As an avid fellow Zumba-lover she knew exactly what I was talking about. And she took on the challenge that was my hair.

I walked away with the first hair style that has been noticeably different (minus the orange hair I donned as I prepared for The Great Dance Adventure about this time last year) in years.

Each of my sons walked in the door and did a double take and verbally expressed a bit of a "whoa!" expression as they saw my 'messy' new look. I still have a bit of a 'whoa'!! expression each time I pass by a mirror.

But I'm determined to give this a try. I'm going to go with the flow of what comes natural and easy to my hair. I am calling this new look my 'Zumba Hair'. Hair that I can take to the gym and walk out looking the same as I did when I walked in the door (and this a good thing?!?).

I've been going against the current when it comes to my hair. It's time to take my own advice and just go with what comes naturally. This could be a test in bravery. Or it could be life changing. Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment