Monday, January 3, 2011

The Holiday is Over

Last night, for the first night since December 13th (that is how long the kids have been out of school ... it was a most excellent year not to be running a daycare), My Youngest went to bed. At a normal bed time ... in his own bed.

My Youngest has been camping out in the TV room downstairs throughout the holiday. To find him and our cat snuggled up on the couch together in the morning has become the norm.

Our Little Black Cat (Andre) loves 'camping out'. As a rule, Andre sleeps around a lot at night. Both My Youngest and I claim that he sleeps with us. But what I think he must do, is sleep with each of us a little bit (so that we both feel loved).

Needless to say, I have become quite accustomed to not sharing my bed with our Little Black Hairball the past few weeks. I have stretched out fully and rolled around to my heart's content, not worrying about disturbing His Highness's sleep (I can't be the only cat owner who unconsciously tucks my knees up to my shoulders so that I can roll over and then stretch back out when I'm on the other side of our cat??).

Last night, I didn't realize I had a bed partner. Until ...

I rolled over and stretched my feet out towards the end of the bed. Immediately, I heard the ker-thunk of our cat falling to the floor (don't worry, he landed on his feet ... otherwise it would have been simply 'thunk').

In my semi conscious state, I had a little chuckle as I visualized Our Little Black Kitty being rudely ejected off the foot of my bed.

This morning when I woke up, he was sleeping soundly on the opposite side of me. I think he was consciously aware that he could be ousted out again at any time.

He was still sleeping when I got up. So we went back to our usual tradition of him sleeping on my bed while I make my bed around him (I've become very adept at this special talent).

He followed me into the bathroom and investigated it for any drips that he could lap up. He was my little black shadow this morning.

I didn't realize how much I missed the early morning presence of our Little Black Kitty, until he blessed me with his presence once again this morning.

It made waking up to a regular, old work day a little more pleasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment