Saturday, January 8, 2011

In a New York Minute

It was a short article in our local paper (that I read last night) that rose to my consciousness first thing this morning ...

Two years after rebuilding her life after a "tumultuous divorce" a newly single mom was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. The onset of her symptoms were fast and furious. She wrote that when she sat down in her car right after her diagnosis, the song playing on the radio was "A New York Minute" by the Eagles ...

Shortly after I read that article, I found this inspirational message about focusing on what is important and making the 'most of your Saturdays' in my inbox: http://www.mountainwings.com/past/1132.htm

I have been living my life with passion lately. There is something about the combined events of having the freedom to go out without needing a babysitter and turning 50 that has given me permission to my live to the fullest.

I laughingly told someone that I'm living my 'first' childhood. For the first time in 32 years, my children are all in varying stages of independence. For the first time in 50 years, I have had the confidence to spread my wings and fly solo for small, but regular periods of time.

I am pursuing that which interests me. I find myself laughing more than I ever have before. I'm living a very good life.

But when I think of it, I am consciously aware that my life is a little bit too much all about me lately.

When I woke up this morning and thought that all of this could change 'in a New York minute', instantly I knew where I needed to devote more of my time.

If life as I know it changed in the blink of an eye ... what would I regret?

That which sifts to the surface, is what needs to be addressed. As good as my life is right now, it has room for improvement. I want to live a life without regret. I know what needs to be done. And I know that I only have a finite amount of time to do it in.



The flip side of this, is that no matter how dark and hopeless things may seem ... that too, can change 'in a New York Minute'.

What life has taught me is to take nothing for granted. And never lose hope ...

No comments:

Post a Comment