Sunday, January 23, 2011

Real Life Verses Practice Scenarios

I completed my First Aid/CPR course today, after two full days of learning.

As I tried to absorb all of the information that was taught, I couldn't help but wonder how our practice scenarios would unfold if they were to happen in real life. What if your child was choking or you found a parent unconscious? Would a person panic? Would you be able to recall what you needed to know when you needed to know it??

Well, as luck would have it our training also involved a practical section. We were divided into 6 teams. One team would walk into an unknown emergency situation while a second team evaluated how they did and the other 4 teams simply observed.

Our team was the last to act out the scenario. One would think that would make it easier. To utilize the knowledge of what the prior teams had demonstrated and have the extra time to map out how we would react. One would be wrong.

The reality of our un-real situation is that we still walked in on a scenario where we didn't know what was unfolding. We had a classroom full of bystanders. An upset child (play acting) and an unconscious 'mother' lying on the floor.

I can't remember what I may have done right. I instructed my team mate to call 911. I checked for breathing. I asked 'the child' what happened. And it all went down hill from there.

I didn't ask for the defibrillator. I didn't ask any bystanders for assistance. Once I knew my 'casualty' was not breathing and didn't have a heart beat, I panicked.

I started CPR. I didn't check the mouth for foreign objects. I didn't tilt the head back or  plug the patient's nose to do mouth-to-mouth. I didn't count the chest compressions. I forgot I had a partner.

I'm quite certain that my patient would have died had this been real life. Even though this was play acting, I reacted as though I hadn't learned a thing the past few days. If my instructor had to pass or fail me based on my performance alone, I'd fail.

Thank goodness for the written exam. I had a chance to prove that I did actually listen and learn what was taught. But the most valuable lesson that I learned this weekend? To take a breath. Take a minute to think. Remember to utilize the help around me. To trust that I have the knowledge - I simply must remain calm enough to put it to use.

As I went out for supper with my family afterwards, I warned them "Don't you dare choke! I failed to keep my patient alive in class ... " (and I didn't want any real life reenactments).

I hope I never have to utilize what I learned this weekend. To keep cool under pressure ... that is easier said than done.

P.S. Further to yesterday's post where I had a very vivid dream about this course ... not only did we not get McDonald's for lunch, but there was no cash payout upon completion either! It was only a dream (and thankfully it was only a pretend patient as well).

No comments:

Post a Comment