Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Too Much Sitting

Friday - I sat at the computer and worked at my bookkeeping for nine solid hours. Okay, a few of those hours I was standing at the kitchen table sorting a massive amount of paper. But for the most part? I sat.

Saturday and Sunday - I sat for nine hours each day as I took a First Aid/CPR class. Saturday was brutal. I have been exhausted before but this is the first time that I could have quite literally fallen asleep standing up (I kid you not!). I warned my partner "If I appear to be unconscious, I have just fallen asleep. No need for CPR."

Monday - I worked for another nine hours at my bookkeeping. I sat at the computer 95% of the time.

My point? Too much sitting makes you tired.

Friday night I simply had no choice. Errands had to be run because there was no other time to do it. Perpetual motion kept me awake.

Saturday night I was in bed and sleeping by 8:30. Falling asleep standing up made that decision an easy one.

Sunday night I managed to get through the evening by eating, even though I had just eaten a fully satisfying supper (I believe that is why I eat so much ... it is the only way I can stay awake).

Then there was last night (Monday).

Two hours of Zumba is my Monday evening routine. For the first time in 'ever', I thought I don't want to go. I was tired. I had been out of the house every single day for two weeks running. I just wanted to curl up in a little ball and sleep.

If I wasn't such a cheap skate, I may have done that. But I paid for those classes. I would be ripping myself off if I didn't go to each and every one. So I went.

It was the best two hours I could recall since Thursday. Sitting still for four solid days is not good for you. I needed to move.

I moved and I grooved to the music. I pushed myself as far as I could go (I'm sure I should have pushed harder ... I don't think my heart was beating as fast as it should have been). I broke a sweat. I used my muscles. I had fun.

I needed to push myself out of the house last night. It was the smartest thing that I could have done. I've been so busy working out my brain muscle that I was under the illusion that I was exhausted. Who knew that my body had built up all of that extra energy while it sat idle for four days?

Sometimes it is what you feel like doing the least ... that is the best thing for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment