Friday, February 4, 2011

Encouragement

I am blessed to find myself surrounded in a very encouraging community.

Most importantly, my children believe I am better than I am. It seems that they believe that I can do more and be more than I am. So when I toss out wild and crazy ideas, I get an overwhelming response of 'go for it' from them.

My family is also very much on my side. My mom has been a bit harder to win over, but I'm gaining ground. Her extra life experience makes her more wary and aware of all of the pitfalls. She is cautious in many ways. But when it comes right down to it, I believe that she believes in me. With that knowledge, I feel like I can do anything.

I think I have my friends brainwashed! I have the most amazing amount of support from my circle of friends. In fact, sometimes I think that I'm just dreaming this up. They have become my sounding board. I bounce ideas off of them and see how it sounds, feels and comes back to me.

But what has surprised me the most lately, is the absolutely amazing rapport, support and encouragement from the Zumba community.

From the moment that I walked into my first class, not knowing a soul and 'dancing' (aka exercising) the hour away and being swept up in the Zumba experience, I found myself smiling, turning to others in the class and marvelling at how much fun we had.

Each and every time that I walked into another Zumba class or event, I talked to people that I didn't know. We were all there for the love of Zumba and it felt as though I was ageless. Just another member of a super-fun club!

Then ... I took a step far out of my reach (thanks to the encouragement of my Second Son "Don't just say you want to do something. Do it!") and took a Zumba Instructor course. Once again, I thought that this would be the time that I would be a fish out of water. I wouldn't fit or adapt. But I did! The other students and the instructors were amazing. The outgoing, friendly, fun and vibrant souls that found their way into that class made for a most incredible day.

The most recent surprise that I have found, is in confessing my goals to a few Zumba instructors that are leading the classes that I am presently taking. Honestly, I felt that this would be when I got the attitude that I have been expecting all along. I'm definitely older than most (all??) of the instructors that I have encountered. I don't have a natural talent that makes me any more special than anyone else in the class. Our local Zumba market is becoming saturated. I don't consider myself competition, but I thought other instructors may (then again, after reading what I just wrote maybe they don't feel that I would be competition either!).

Anyway ... it was to my great surprise and amazement, that both of these instructors were so encouraging!

I talked to one instructor face-to-face, so she didn't have a chance to formulate her thoughts ahead of time as we spoke. As we parted ways after that initial conversation, her last words to me were, "We should open a gym together!"

I emailed back and forth with my second instructor. So I suppose that she had an opportunity to edit her thoughts. But each and every response to my confession that "Yes ... I had received my Zumba certification" was incredibly supportive. She told me if I ever wanted to team teach, just to let her know. Wow!!

These latest developments in my quest to go as far as this Zumba road takes me, has me fueled up and eager to continue to give this my best shot. My original plan was that no matter where this road does or does not lead, each and every step along the way will teach me something that is good to know.

What I hadn't realized upon the onset of this journey, is the value of encouragement. I doubt that these instructors realize what an impact their words have made. It could have just as easily gone the other way.

2011 is the year of paying it forward for me. The value of positive and encouraging words is multiplied when shared. You never know what a difference you will make in another person's world, by simply acknowledging and encouraging someone. One has no idea what is quietly going on beneath the surface of another. By sharing the positive, you just may turn someones day around.

Encouragement - pay it forward. What you give in life comes back to you. I am living proof.

No comments:

Post a Comment