Sunday, February 6, 2011

Nothing is Certain

"I'm sure we'll chat soon" were the words I wrote in an email Friday night. I sent off the email and thought to myself nothing is certain.

One innocent slip on the ice an a myriad of outcomes could have transpired. My youthful, vital and able bodied Middle Son slipped on the ice a few winters ago and broke a bone in his hand. That is pretty minor in the whole scheme of things but it translated to three months of unemployment and severe financial hardship.

Sitting at the wrong intersection at the wrong time, a friend was hit by a drunk driver. Her injuries led her down a path of recovery which (in the end) changed the direction of her life.

Two sisters driving down a familiar highway were hit by another car. One life was lost. The other life was forever altered.

A unique set of circumstances could bring you together with a person who needs a friend. A life could be saved by the right person being there at the right time. Life altering moments happen all of the time.

One minute life is as you know and expect it. The next could change your life forever.

Friday morning, my mom slipped on the ice and 'broke the fall' with her head. She went to the doctor to ensure no damage (other than the goose egg and small gash) was done. All precautions were taken. She spent the night at my brother's to ensure she wasn't alone for the 24 hours that followed. I talked to her yesterday and she sounds chipper, happy and as 'right as rain'.

As I was hearing the news of Mom's tumble, I couldn't help but think of all of the ways it could have gone wrong. All because she stepped out on her icy sidewalk to retrieve her newspaper.

These are the words that tumbled out of my fingertips yesterday morning:

"I'm sure I'll be talking to Mom later today. As I wrote that, I thought "Nothing is for sure ..." After Mom's tumble yesterday, today could easily been a completely different scenario. It makes you appreciate the small miracles that propel us from one day into the next."

No comments:

Post a Comment