Monday, April 18, 2011

Coming Up Empty

Usually by the time I sit down in front of this empty page, I have many seeds of thought and I just let my fingers do the talking once I pick a central theme to write about. This morning? Not so much.

I am four weekends away from my cruise!! Omigosh!

I wanted to write a book before I left. It doesn't look like that is going to happen.

My head has been all over the map these past few months. I have had such a nice, healthy dose of 'life' tossed my way that I forgot all about my upcoming holiday. Okay. I didn't forget. I just tabled my excitement.

It is now official. If I hope to get my money's worth out of this holiday, the time to start to become excited has arrived.

My first early morning thought of today? How many shoes will I really need to bring?? Walking shoes, deck shoes, casual shoes, dressy shoes and a back up pair of simply comfortable shoes. Will I need to pack one entirely separate suitcase for my shoes??

Formal wear. Scary thought. I have a closet full of options. My dilemma is that I am not entirely sure  how they will fit. I have given up Zumba and taken up eating this past month. Not a winning combination when you have size 6 clothes and a size 8 (and growing??) body.

Deck wear. Yikes! I don't have 'pretty' hanging-around-the-ship kinds of clothes. I am going to have to seriously peruse what I do own and try to spice up my existing wardrobe with a few pairs of dressy capri pants and accessories. I think that will work.

Okay. Worrying about what I am going to pack does not constitute excitement. But booking a pedicure, getting my hair cut and colored and a little primping is a step in the right direction (I'm working on that).

I seriously need to sit down and visit with my travel companion. She has perfected the art of being excited right from the onset of our plans. I need a small dose of her pixie dust sprinkled my way so that I can stop worrying and start anticipating.

One month from tomorrow, I will be leaving on a jet plane. I will be sailing on a ship the following day. We will be whale watching, hiking, taking a bus to our waterjet-powered catamaran and rafting silently down a river throughout some of our excursions. Then taking a scenic train ride to our final destination. And then one final flight (with a layover and opportunity to meet up with one more friend on our way home) to wind up the adventure.

This holiday will be amazing. I am headed on a grand adventure ... and I have a most excellent friend to accompany me each and every step of the way.

I'm not feeling so empty any more. I'm ready to amp up my excitement levels and start getting ready for my Biggest Adventure So Far.

No comments:

Post a Comment